What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Now What!?

3y3Flyer

I'm New Here
Dimpled an extra hole right next to the one I was supposed to dimple. Thought about pounding it out, then dimple the correct hole and using a little filler...but I worried the rivet will not set properly and I create more of a mess of the situation. It's on the VS skin of an RV8A...I can't be the first idiot in history to ever make this mistake...Any ideas? BTW, I have learned through this process that my 4 lettered vocabulary is much greater than anticipated!

s!AoVbWwEj1MLxojhExD-AdKllekCM

Last edited:
One option would be to smoosh both of those holes flat then drill new holes and set a rivet on each side, 2d away from crime scene, then let sand and fill wipe away the evidence.

Holes

Agreed with above. .that's what I would do. . Don't lose sleep over this one. .no big deal. .

Perhaps it is just the camera angle but the undimpled holes appear to have a countersink look to them? The visible dimpled hole looks a bit large.
Reach out to a local builder and get their opinion on this issue. It is never a bad thing to contact Van,s directly
I am more concerned about the holes themselves then I am about the mistake.

Extra hole

Call Vans. I suspect they will tell you to flatten the extra and add a hole equally spaced either side of the pair. I know a little about such things.:D

+1

Ditto, Ditto, and Ditto -- don't lose any sleep over it, it won't be the last foxtrot-uniform that you make :)

Un-dimple, clean it up, dimple correct hole, rivet and fill...

Cheers!

Perhaps it is just the camera angle but the undimpled holes appear to have a countersink look to them? The visible dimpled hole looks a bit large.
Reach out to a local builder and get their opinion on this issue. It is never a bad thing to contact Van,s directly
I am more concerned about the holes themselves then I am about the mistake.

Indeed. I agree it looks like over-deburred holes. You can see the "countersink" mark in the lowest dimpled hole in the photo. If this is really what's going on here, I'd be concerned about the structural integrity of these riveted assemblies due to the rivets only carrying the load at the outermost diameter of the head, which is the weakest part of the rivet.

Please have an advisor look at these holes! Maybe it is just the angle of the photo playing tricks on our eyes, but I'd investigate this further.

Thanks for the advice...I ordered a new skin and will use a different de burr tool this time. I think the photos really magnified the issue, but better safe than sorry. I'm sure it wont be the last part I re-order.

Been there/Done that

You are not the first nor the last. When I did it the first time I called Van's and spoke with Stirling. He told not a problem to clean it up and rivet the correct hole. The cosmetic blemish can be filled at paint time.

Mike Keaveney
Port Jefferson, NY
Fuselage (Slow build)
N359MK
2020 Donation paid

Back