What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rebuilding fuel caps

Plummit

Well Known Member
My RV is a late 2008 QB kit and I assume it has stock fuel caps. I want to rebuild them so that I don't have to worry about the pin breaking so I ordered a rebuild kit from Vans. I looked on line for the instructions and noted that the brown O rings won't work with the old style caps. I'm pretty sure that my caps have the black (old style) O rings (I'll check in the morning).

Since my caps are engraved, What are my options? Are new O rings available at Spruce or???

-Marc

The newest version caps have white plastic glides that the o-ring seats against.
The old version had the o-ring seating directly on the cap casting.

Based on your kit vintage it is doubtful that you would have the old style caps.

Yep, I have the new style. Somewhere I saw Van's instructions for rebuilding the caps but I can't seem to locate them now. Anyone BTW this is for an RV-10, so the vent mod for RV-12 DNA.

-Marc

Yes! AndAir makes them. My partially built kit came with them - installed - and as it turns out, no keys :eek:

AndAir advised drilling, tapping and pulling them out with a jig - destroying the caps in the process.

Best advice I've gotten to date is hire a locksmith to pick them, then re-key.

But, yes, they're available.

My RV is a late 2008 QB kit and I assume it has stock fuel caps. I want to rebuild them so that I don't have to worry about the pin breaking so I ordered a rebuild kit from Vans.

A section of a four penny nail will replace that pin just fine.

Back