What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Clocking the VP-200 Mag Switch

johngoodman

Well Known Member
Anybody know how to re-clock the VP-200 Switching Panel Mag Switch? Ours currently has the Off position between 11 & 12 o'clock, which means the run position is pointing close to the VP Green button, and we can't label it. Surely there is a way, or at least a different knob....

John

Clocking is a function of a couple things. First check is to take set the switch 2 positions to the right (Both position) and take the knob off (loosen the 2 set screws in the knob, 5/64). Is the flat portion of the shaft facing up? If so, then there is a problem with the knob itself, it has "turned on the shaft" instead of "turning the shaft". If not, then the switch has turned in the case.

Here is a picture of the switch taken out of the case:

VP200%20Mag%20Switch.jpg

There are 2 other things that could cause the switch to turn in the case, both have to do with the positioning washer (not sure that is the correct term). This washer has a tab protruding towards the center of the hole, and it slides into a slot on the switch shaft. If that tab has broken off then the switch can turn. There is a second tab at the apex of this triangular shaped washer. This second tab engages a hole in the case. If the tab has somehow escaped from the hole in the case then again the switch can turn in the case.

Those are the only things I am aware of that could cause your problem.

BTW, for reference the switch is a Cole 3630-304-01, see this .pdf http://www.cole-switches.com/pdfs/s3600.pdf

Thanks, Marc. While I've got you, the pins for the P--leads were not in our kit (had it a long time), and we had to order some. They don't look like the right ones. It's the connector on the back of the VP-200 switch panel.
John

Thanks, Marc. While I've got you, the pins for the P--leads were not in our kit (had it a long time), and we had to order some. They don't look like the right ones. It's the connector on the back of the VP-200 switch panel.
John

I seem to recall that the p-lead connectors on the back of the switch panel were the same as the power pins on the Control unit, basically Molex MX150Ls: http://www.molex.com/molex/products/datasheet.jsp?part=active/0194200004_CRIMP_TERMINALS.xml

OK, everything suggested worked! The tabbed washer was incorrectly installed, which allowed proper clocking, and the pins (called Deutch pins) are also used in the Harley-Davidson world, that has videos. We are rolling now. Thanks to everyone who helped.
John

......the pins (called Deutch pins) are also used in the Harley-Davidson world,......

John, I would check that very very carefully! Not saying it ain't so, but the Deutsch pins I have looked at were all round. The pins out the back of the switch panel (male) are flat, and the female pins in the connector are square. You definitely want the correct ones.

The last thing you want is a connection that has an intermittent disconnect, especially on something like a mag switch!

Hi John,

The pins on the back of the VP-200 switch panel are tin Molex MX-150L and not Deutsch. (The pins are gold plated on the control unit)

Glad you were able to spot the washer. The pin on the washer should be inserted into a hole in the front bezel to prevent the rotary knob from turning. The Cole switch itself was a special order unit, and I can't image you'd need to replace that.

Enjoy!

Molex pins

Mouser is also a great source for the pins as well as connector bodies with pretty good pricing for smaller quantities. Sometimes you have to find the right mouser number to get the loose quantity pricing so look down the listing that comes up on the search.

Back