What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aeroshell #5 Grease

Plummit

Well Known Member
So I saw somewhere that Aeroshell #5 is called out for the nose fork swivel. I had to order it at ACS. Are people pretty much staying with that?

-Marc

So I saw somewhere that Aeroshell #5 is called out for the nose fork swivel. I had to order it at ACS. Are people pretty much staying with that?

-Marc

Yes. You'll also need to it to pack your wheel bearings. Hartzell recommends #6 for the prop as well.

You don't need much of either.

Aeroshell 5 is recommended for load bearings, such as wheels, etc. Aeroshell 6 is also a mineral based grease, but there are slight temperature differences. They are very similar, but have minor differences.
Here is what Shell says:

AeroShell Grease 5 is particularly effective for use as a wheel bearing grease, especially when landing speeds are high, and is suitable for the lubrication of aircraft and engine accessories operating at high speeds and at relatively high temperatures, e.g. magnetos, generators and starters. For the lubrication of rolling bearings which are required to start at temperatures as low as ?23?C an adequate period should be allowed for the grease to channel.

AeroShell Grease 6 is a general purpose airframe grease for use in anti-friction bearings, gearboxes and plain bearings within the temperature range of ?40?C to +121?C.

Aeroshell 5 is recommended for load bearings, such as wheels, etc. Aeroshell 6 is also a mineral based grease, but there are slight temperature differences. They are very similar, but have minor differences.
Here is what Shell says:

AeroShell Grease 5 is particularly effective for use as a wheel bearing grease, especially when landing speeds are high, and is suitable for the lubrication of aircraft and engine accessories operating at high speeds and at relatively high temperatures, e.g. magnetos, generators and starters. For the lubrication of rolling bearings which are required to start at temperatures as low as –23°C an adequate period should be allowed for the grease to channel.

AeroShell Grease 6 is a general purpose airframe grease for use in anti-friction bearings, gearboxes and plain bearings within the temperature range of –40°C to +121°C.

Interestingly, the Grummans with the similar nose gear Belville washers call out Shell #6 for that application, not #5.

Wheel bearings call for Shell #16, but say that Cleavland manual is also applicable.

Grease Craziness

This whole grease thing is ridiculous. Aeroshell should be ashamed! For goodness sake, just tell me which grease to use. The transition from mineral based greases to synthetics seems to be giving them fits and, as a corporation, I don't think they are handling it well at all. As an end user, I'm completely, and thoroughly, confused!

This whole grease thing is ridiculous. Aeroshell should be ashamed! For goodness sake, just tell me which grease to use. The transition from mineral based greases to synthetics seems to be giving them fits and, as a corporation, I don't think they are handling it well at all. As an end user, I'm completely, and thoroughly, confused!

There is a sticker on the Hartzell hub that specifies which grease it was initially serviced with. MIne was Aeroshell #6 The manual states you can mix 5&6 but if you use anything else you have to completely clean out any old grease. Easier just to use what Hartzell used.

I use Aeroshell #5 for pretty much everything that I don't squirt LPS-2 on.
I even changed to it in my prop at rebuild time as it is approved to reduce oil separation and prop seal leaking, a common problem.
It performs well in my tailwheel.

Don't get too hung up on it. Consult the manufacturers data of the equipment you are lubricating and follow their recommendation.

since you asked

the nose swivel is hardly a moving part compared to a spinning wheel bearing.
I lean toward just a sticky grease that won't run or ooze into areas I don't want ( like the washers)...so I used Lucas/Red Ram sticky #2 red stuff.

Lucas Red 'N' Tacky Grease is a smooth, tacky, red lithium complex grease fortified with rust and oxidation inhibitors. It has good water resistance and washout properties. It has excellent mechanical stability and storage life. It is able to withstand heavy loads for extended periods of time. It can be used in many agricultural, automotive and industrial applications. Lucas Red 'N' Tacky Grease is fortified with a high degree of extreme pressure additives that give it a TRUE Timken load much higher than other greases of this type. Its especially good for sliding surfaces and open gears.

not rocket science in this application.....a crude hunk of pipe sliding over another hunk of steel...no big pressures or temps here.

my silly opinion, YMMV.

Be Careful here

The real thing to watch for in grease is the thicker (lithium,lithium comples,Calcium,Aluminum Complex and "CLAY"). All mix ok, but Clay and anything else. Shell is a "Microgel" their trade name for "Clay". Be careful most grease are we find in Auto parts and in auto industry use Lithium base. If you mix clay and lithium the two grease will run until it is totally replace. Oil base mineral or synthetic, is not that important (except ester base, most European oil). Both Shell 5 and 6 are Clay base thicker,slightly different temp range. Lucas grease is not a good choose for a sub. I am speak strictly here about the Hartzell prop. For wheel bearings you can easy switch from one grease to other just make sure to purge all clay (Aeroshell) out when switching to a new grease. I would keep Aeroshell in the prop and use anything else on the wheels. You could also use the Aeroshell on the wheels. I like an Aluminum Complex for the wheel it is complete waterproof, something like StaLube boat trailer grease (blue). It like that feature. Clay base are average water resistant. Jusst my 3cent.

yes, be careful

I seem to recall that some years ago an Alaska Airlines crash just off shore from LAX was blamed on the stabilator jack screw failing, due to an improper mixing of greases.

the nose swivel is hardly a moving part compared to a spinning wheel bearing.
I lean toward just a sticky grease that won't run or ooze into areas I don't want ( like the washers)...so I used Lucas/Red Ram sticky #2 red stuff.

not rocket science in this application.....a crude hunk of pipe sliding over another hunk of steel...no big pressures or temps here.

my silly opinion, YMMV.

Actually both the Grumman maintenance manual and the Cirrus manual say to put grease on those Belville washers...:rolleyes:

How much grease are you guys putting into the zerk fitting on the nose wheel fork spindle ? and how often??

Thanks, Gerry

The real thing to watch for in grease is the thicker (lithium,lithium comples,Calcium,Aluminum Complex and "CLAY"). All mix ok, but Clay and anything else. Shell is a "Microgel" their trade name for "Clay". Be careful most grease are we find in Auto parts and in auto industry use Lithium base. If you mix clay and lithium the two grease will run until it is totally replace. Oil base mineral or synthetic, is not that important (except ester base, most European oil). Both Shell 5 and 6 are Clay base thicker,slightly different temp range. Lucas grease is not a good choose for a sub. I am speak strictly here about the Hartzell prop. For wheel bearings you can easy switch from one grease to other just make sure to purge all clay (Aeroshell) out when switching to a new grease. I would keep Aeroshell in the prop and use anything else on the wheels. You could also use the Aeroshell on the wheels. I like an Aluminum Complex for the wheel it is complete waterproof, something like StaLube boat trailer grease (blue). It like that feature. Clay base are average water resistant. Jusst my 3cent.

I have used this for 36 years in my aircraft bearings Warrior and RV6A and the nose gear...... A perfect grease for this application.... Found at Napa autoparts.

Back