What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The tool you need... or at least want

pulsar

Uggg... apologies, this is mostly just a gripe... I will surely live, but what does a guy need to do to find a set of 6-point shallow sockets in this world? So many 12-points around, but 6-points are an endangered species. I?m assembling a second tool kit to have the right tools where I need them, standing in Harbor Freight and not a shallow 6-point, 3/8 drive set to be found. Plenty of 12-point though. What?s the deal? I get it, 12-point have their place and I?ve used them and I?ve specified my share of 12-point fasteners in my day job. But For the weekend warrior types, 6-point are far better at transmitting torque to a hex fastener and less likely to round over a hex head, so I would at least like to have the option to buy some. Okay, rant over. I?ll go order what I need and stop complaining. Dan

I second the Tekton set.
I've got a bunch of their tools.
Order from their site, free shipping and a 10% credit towards your next order.

6-point

I'm a 6-point too. Most were Craftsman years ago. One set is Cornwell (Snap-On).
While you're looking, grab cheapo 6-point sockets from a Thrift Store in common sizes ljke 3/8 and 1/2. Grind the wall down fir a thin wall socket. Very handy.

Growing up in Pennsylvania with winter and salt on the roads, cars would get corrosion on nuts and bolts making them hard to come off. My father taught me to only acquire 6-point sockets as they were less likely to round off the fastener on the car one was trying to remove.

Fast forward 20 or 30-years.

I did not start to acquire 12-point sockets till I moved out of state and started building and working on airplanes.

I almost never get rid of tools. I still have a lot of 6-point sockets. I typically use the 12-point sockets on aircraft but IF I am having a difficult time loosening hardware, I get the 6-point socket out.

Tool junkies unite

I?m a tool junkie too, and live in the North East. Those two things, combined with salt-filled winters, is why I own a 10 inch gear puller and 24 inch crescent wrench to pull tires off of my car. I did find some good 6-point sockets deals on eBay so I can stop complaining:)

Back