What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Parachute?

Snap-roll

Hi I?m wondering what type of parachute that will work best for use in the 8 with helmet, seat or back pack?
/ Johan

Pretty sure Ron Schreck ended up using a backpack miniSoftie in his 8 for competitions.

The standard 8 seatback is a bit narrow, but I think he switched over from a seatpack.

Ron?

It probably depends on how you fit in the cockpit. I can't move far forward without my knees hitting the panel, so use a seat pack.

Parachute

I recently purchased a Softie Wedge. I attach a sweat pad for summer, sheepskin for winter.
Comfortable...I?m 5?10?,
Purchased a doormat, felt type front, rubber backing as a seat back insert to protect chute. All works fine.
Flying an RV-8.

Short and slim probably = less than 180 lbs and therefore you can get by with the Softie Micro. A couple inches more narrow than the standard Mini. Give Holly a call and she'll make sure you wind up with the right choice. Softie Parachutes: 800-877-9584

Does anybody have the Classic Aero Aviator Seats? As they have their own backrest and the seatbelts go through them it is quite annoying to unmount the seatbelts all the time to install the original uncussioned backrest. Thus I would think that a seat pack option would be better? Any recommendations in this regard?

I am strongly leaning towards a national 425 in the seat config.

Cheers Yves

Does anybody have the Classic Aero Aviator Seats? As they have their own backrest and the seatbelts go through them it is quite annoying to unmount the seatbelts all the time to install the original uncussioned backrest. Thus I would think that a seat pack option would be better? Any recommendations in this regard?

I am strongly leaning towards a national 425 in the seat config.

Cheers Yves

I fly with a Strong seat pack and the Classic Aero aviator seats. The front seat cushion is easy to remove. You only have to worry about the front seat belt strap. That slides through the seat fairly easily. Two other things I’ve noted....the seat pack actually raises my seating height slightly. Also, the seat pack works well enough for local flying, but I wouldn’t want to fly cross country with it.

Back