What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Different versions of RV-8 tank?

Saville

Well Known Member
I have been informed that there are 2 different versions of the RV-8 tank.

A pre-2001 tank and a post 2001 tank.

The tank I want to replace was identified as a pre-2001 tank. So I have to buy pre-2001 parts.

Does anyone know the differences between the two?

Earlier tanks are referred to as pre punch. The later tanks are referred to as matched hole. On the earlier kits only the skins. And spars and the back baffle had pre punched rivet holes in them. The ribs did not have rivet holes pre-punched on them. On the later matched hole Kits all the parts have undersized rivet holes already punched from the factory.
You may be able to use the later. Kit parts. I would suggest calling Vans and discussing this with them. to get an authoritative answer.

Charlie

Earlier tanks are referred to as pre punch. The later tanks are referred to as matched hole. On the earlier kits only the skins. And spars and the back baffle had pre punched rivet holes in them. The ribs did not have rivet holes pre-punched on them. On the later matched hole Kits all the parts have undersized rivet holes already punched from the factory.
You may be able to use the later. Kit parts. I would suggest calling Vans and discussing this with them. to get an authoritative answer.

Charlie

Talked with Vans yesterday. We only discussed the spanwise screw holes and they confirmed - as you say - that those are match drilled.

But they also say the skins are actually different. I have to buy a T801-PP-L (for the left tank). The new tanks have a 701 number (matches with RV-7 tanks). I don't know if that's because you don't want the outboard tank edge to be match drilled as the holes for the screws there were created by the builder, or if there's some other reason.

In any event they gave me the parts list for an old RV8 tank set and I'll order the parts from that.

Thanks much.

I spoke with Vans. They tell me that the difference between old tanks and new tanks for the RV-8 is the spacing of the screw holes along the spanwise top and bottom edges of the tank.

Does any of you -8 drivers, who know whether or not you have the -1 wing, happen to know or can measure the hole spacing on your tank?

Thanks!

Hi Saville,

I have a -1 tank skin here, email me if you like and I can send you pics/measurements?

Hugh

Hugh-Thomson at Hotmail dot com

Back