What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Subaru SVX 3.3L EG33..... Experience, anyone?

OutdoorAviator

I've currently got it attached to my firewall, a project I purchased and looking at refinishing. It has the full turbo, intercooler, Prop Speed Reduction Unit, radiator, **continue with the whole 9 yards and kitchen sink**

Having only ever flown behind Lycoming an Continental, I'm unsure I want to keep this setup, or sell it to fund an IO-540.

Any thoughts from the experts out there? Or if there's an interested party out there looking for a quality Subaru, get in touch?

Thanks for any insight and help.

Buy a stock 540 with the firewall kit. You will fly months sooner and have an aircraft with an excellent resale value

I've currently got it attached to my firewall, a project I purchased and looking at refinishing. It has the full turbo, intercooler, Prop Speed Reduction Unit, radiator, **continue with the whole 9 yards and kitchen sink**

Having only ever flown behind Lycoming an Continental, I'm unsure I want to keep this setup, or sell it to fund an IO-540.

Any thoughts from the experts out there? Or if there's an interested party out there looking for a quality Subaru, get in touch?

Thanks for any insight and help.

Did this FWF package come from Crossflow Engineering?

you'll probably get a lot of hate from non-alt engine guys here on VAF. There are specific maint, limits and operating things that you will need to be aware of. There is a yahoo group that is still active for us subi folks. I can get you a link if you want.

If you want to continue with the Subaru you will need to be someone who wants to tinker a lot to get things dialed in. If you just want to fly and not worry about it, then go with a traditional aircraft engine.

There is still some value in the parts and accessories but I think the market has been reduced to practically nothing for FWF engine packages.

What gearbox, prop, ECU setup do you have?

There will be a fair bit of heartburn and angst on this forum about those engines, he's correct - a lot of people got burned pretty badly with the marketing.

The package can be made to work and work well - several have done it and are flying them today - but you have to really understand the mechanics of the FWF package and be willing to spend a lot more time tinkering with it than flying it. What Jeff said above is correct.

Don't do it.

Take the package off the front, drain all fluids and sink it in the deepest body of water you can find. I was the victim of Canadian company that thankfully is no longer in business. I lost $1000's of dollars and year or two of time. My neighbor still has his engine and is out over $30K.

They don't work, never have and never will. There has only been limited success but the BS factor far exceeds any benefits. My simple question to anyone considering using ANY Subaru package is, "Are you will to fly a family member behind an engine package that has only minimal success?"

You could possibly use the engine package for an airboat or other ground based vehicle but not an aircraft!!

That's all.

By contrast, a local flyer and friend has the Subaru SVX engine on his Cozy Mk IV. The core power plant seems to be quite good. The Marcotte (sp?) re-drive has been a concern but seems to have settled in quite nicely.

This engine is used in pusher configuration on this aircraft with a custom-carved wooden prop. Its exhaust note is quite distinct - when you hear it coming you know exactly which airplane you're hearing.

It's beautiful to see how easily it starts, how smoothly it runs and how it seems to make power without much fuss.

With all that having been said, the owner/builder of this aircraft is an engineer at heart and has enjoyed the challenges of making this into a reliable powerplant. Bolting on a Lycoming takes considerably less skill and dedication.

I have several customers flying EG33s successfully and of course there is Russell Sherwood with 800 hours on his, with many SARL race wins over Lycomings and Continentals having more than twice his displacement, so they can work if done right. You can hear the awesome engine note at the end of this vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VGnkvkguRE

Unfortunately, if the OP has a Crossflow FWF package, they were done about as wrong as you could do an auto conversion-bad ECU with ludicrous mapping, vastly mismatched turbos, scary wiring and a PSRU which usually grenaded in less than 30 hours and sometimes less than 10. With the bad ECU mapping, one engine lasted 40 seconds before it slagged several pistons right after takeoff.

I've helped a few folks throw away the bad stuff and replace it with good stuff and some have been flying well for over a decade.

If you're not an engineer or gear head, run away from this one and install a Lycoming. It will cost you thousands to fix the known issues and a boatload of hours.

Last edited:
Bury it

With the bad ECU mapping, one engine lasted 40 seconds before it slagged several pistons right after takeoff.

I was that guy. Flew five times, fire extinguisher exhausted after the final one. Do what Darwin said and dont look back.

Pics attached. I'm looking at selling the whole package, but not sure where the best place to post it might be. Any insight? Or maybe someone is interested or knows an interested party? Thanks!!

Had some interest, but still available. Will also pay a finder's fee for either an outright sale or a swap for a mid time engine. Thanks.

Back