What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ELT antenna location

I put mine on the top, directly over the battery. The ELT is mounted on the port side, behind the bulkhead.
John

I put mine on the baggage bulkhead inside the baggage area. It is up top pointing into the baggage area about 2" below the roof.

My reasoning is that it needs to be in an area most likely to not blocked in the event of a crash. Any location on the outside of an airplane can end up on the ground. A nice vertical antenna has a good chance of not being so vertical after a crash. Inside the baggage has a good chance of being somewhat protected and the fiberglass is not an issue with radio transmissions.

Plus, the -10 can easily turn into an antenna farm with two coms, a nav, transponder and ADSB receiver antenna.

I am also just getting ready to mount my ELT.

I decided against under the tail/elevator faring as it will need regular service and I don't want to have to pull the faring to get to it. (Or so my thinking goes. Also that is way back with potential CG implications.

I have seen many mounted in the baggage compartment. I would rather not have it there as I want a clean interior. Also it seems baggage going in and out all of the time might interfere.

Behind the bulkhead also seems like a tedious place to get to for service. Although with the battery and other stuff there, that will likely be open a lot anyway. I do have an ELT with a remote indicator/test button that will mount to the Instrument Panel. So that might be the ticket.

For the antenna, I was thinking about bonding a plastic tube behind the door and sliding it up inside following the inside of the canopy. I plan on some kind of headliner that will clean up the inside anyway. I am pretty sure I will end up with enough depth to hide it.

Leo

For the ELT mount, Im using a Van's Whelen strobe bracket that mounts on the longerons on the tailboom. Plan to place it on the left side of the tailboom aft of the baggage bulkhead. I will be mounting my remote transponder on a fabricated bracket next to the battery on the right side. Sounds like just the good old fashion on the tail forward of the vertical is where I will mount the ELT antenna. As always, thank you for your valuable input.

For the ELT mount, Im using a Van's Whelen strobe bracket that mounts on the longerons on the tailboom. Plan to place it on the left side of the tailboom aft of the baggage bulkhead. I will be mounting my remote transponder on a fabricated bracket next to the battery on the right side. Sounds like just the good old fashion on the tail forward of the vertical is where I will mount the ELT antenna. As always, thank you for your valuable input.

I mounted my ELT and transponder almost exactly as you describe except my transponder is on the left side of the battery on the AHRS mount Van's sells.

FP19052012A0002K.jpg

Last edited:
Back