What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS Antenna Scars

BH1166

Well Known Member
27 years , and several owners has left me with 3 gps pucks attached to the skin with no attachment to anything inside. What have others done in this regard? Leave them and move on, or remove. I?d like to remove mine, all I need are inside pucks. So here?s the question, what?s the best/proper way to address the holes from cable and mounting holes that will remain?

Thanks

If you are referring to the 4 mounting holes and center larger hole from BNC connector you could make a plate roughly the same size as the antenna that would mount on the inside of the skin using the 4 original mounting holes. Then make a filler piece the same thickness as skin that will fill hole where BNC connector went through skin. Rivet that filler piece with one or two rivets to inside plate. Paint to match 4 fasteners and plate with filler attached. Install when paint dry. Also could use some tank sealant around filler and skin to seal small gap is so desired.

had to plug a couple as well, used a quicker method since I am a lazy ba...rd.
Stuck some tape on the holes inside of the fuse, and filled the holes outside with epoxy mixed with some thixotropic agent. Touched up the paint when dry, perfect from any distance > 3m :)

Maybe use one or two as GoPro (or equivalent action camera) mounts?

Find Steve Melton (look for the 3D Printing thread) and see if he can make some plugs for you?

Hook up additional GPS inputs for redundancy? :)

Good idea

Maybe use one or two as GoPro (or equivalent action camera) mounts

Hook up additional GPS inputs for redundancy? :)

I like the GoPro mount idea. I have three GPS now.....if I ever need more, I should likely need to stay grounded 😂

Back