What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How did you make your canopy frame fit?

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
I've done a fairly extensive search for HOW did you all make your RV-12 canopy frame fit! I've looked at maybe 50 posts by builders who have already completed their 12s. Those who say that they have had to make it fit don't say how. I did get some advice from my friend in the Switzerland - thank you sir.

My plans instructions don't say how to bend the canopy pieces in order to make it fit. I may just try to bend the frame and I don't like the results, then find a welder and have the frame welded 'to fit' my airframe. Send the welder's bill to Van's?

My canopy fit is great (parallel to the longeron) on both sides from the forward pivot hardware (going rearward) until the weld where the frame material is cut and welded. The welded angle on both sides of mine leaves the canopy frame 1/4" higher than it should be at the back of the frame where the rear bow is welded on.

Can I bend the canopy frame near enough to the weld to make it fit? Should I just bite the bullet and have a welder cut and re-weld these joints an Van's recommends? Should I just forget it and build on?

The rear 'bow' is angled correctly at this point but if I bend or have the sides re-welded, then I'll have to bend the bow or re-work the welds at base of the bow as well.

I'm not building a show plane but really want to make my 12 pieces 'fit' as well as possible. Parts that don't fit bug me - and I'll be looking at the inside of my 12 canopy a lot when I get it flying. (Kind of like a door in a house that wasn't hung right)(which I replaced).

Any suggestions specific to how to bend the sides of the canopy frame is appreciated. Or just find a good welder? Replies appreciated.

Last edited:
A friend just finished his 12 and he had a shop re-weld the bow to make it fit. very nice when he was finished and well worth the trouble.

Don't think he submitted bill to Van's... :eek:

While trying to get the front bow per plans it snapped at the weld (I had already filed it down flat where the canopy would lay). I took it to my welder and he fixed it right up.

If I remember correctly, I was able to adjust my frame so it fit very well by judiciously placing some blocks of wood and using ropes etc. to spring the frame.

i remember pushing, pulling, standing on the table with one foot pushing on the canopy frame and a 2 x 4 as a prybar. seemed ridiculous that the thing would ever fit but in the end it did [mostly]

Mine fit perfectly. If you have to do too much modification to fit the airframe you may have a problem attaching the plex canopy. If you are modifying to attach the canopy you may end up with a canopy frame that doesn't fit up with airframe and could place a the plex under stress. Before I spent money modifying I would press Vans for a solution.

I had to do some fitting as well, did it about this same way and finally had a perfect fit!

i remember pushing, pulling, standing on the table with one foot pushing on the canopy frame and a 2 x 4 as a prybar. seemed ridiculous that the thing would ever fit but in the end it did [mostly]

Thank you all

Just as my friend Chris in Switzerland said, it's pretty easy to make the canopy frame fit. We completed mine today - I was amazed at how easy the square aluminum frame material was to bend.

My advice to others is to get a helper to hold the frame while you gently bend it by hand. With the frame mounted on the fuselage as described by the instructions, my friend Richard holding the frame, and I bending where needed, we completed fitting the frame in about 1/2 hour or so. Caution, this material is pretty soft so take it easy.

Another job that I thought would be hard to do on the 12 was in fact, easy peazy. Onward to mounting the canopy!

Thanks again to all who responded to my question.

Back