What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Magnetic compass in RV-12

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
I'm to the point of looking at the panel install. My kit is old so we will be temporarily installing the 'old' panel structure.

I have pretty much decided that I want to install a panel mounted compass. Not trying to start another primer war here reference whether or not a compass is necessary - I want one in my 12.

I'm interested to learn which panel mounted compass members here have installed in their 12 or other RVs with good success. Manufacturer, model number, etc., would be appreciated. Thank you.

Put one in a few months ago. Works just fine. I ordered from wag aero. It was the 89$ panel mount unlit.

Thank you, Kyle

I appreciate your response - I'll follow suit and purchase that compass. Glad to know that yours works ok. Please advise me as to where on the panel you mounted the compass. And anything other tips that you have for me as to installation, etc., would be appreciated. I'm about 1/4 mile from the Pacific Ocean and the fog sometimes appears out of nowhere. I will install the compass and practice with it to the point that I won't be SOL if the SkyView or my electrical system fail. Thanks again, Kyle.

If your SV and/or electrical system fail to point where you have no electronic guidance left, a whiskey compass is not going to save you in instrument conditions. Various design deficiencies of the magnetic compass (e.g., acceleration errors, pole dip, etc.) will likely result in relatively quick pilot disorientation and LOC. Go out and try flying with just a magnetic compass sometime in both smooth and turbulent conditions -- if you are like most pilots, you likely won't last long.

Last edited:
I fly with a Aera in the C152. There's enough there to save your a$$ if all else fails. It also makes a great second screen for quick directs while I program the 430 and quick AFD.

While in the Cessna due to DG drift the compass is essential but I doubt you would really ever use a compass in an AHRS system.

If your SV and/or electrical system fail to point where you have no electronic guidance left, a whiskey compass is not going to save you in instrument conditions. Various design deficiencies of the magnetic compass (e.g., acceleration errors, pole dip, etc.) will likely result in relatively quick pilot disorientation and LOC. Go out and try flying with just a magnetic compass sometime in both smooth and turbulent conditions -- if you are like most pilots, you likely won't last long.

I agree.

If the purpose of adding the compass is to provide back up attitude info, you will be gaining nothing for your efforts.

If that is your worry, I hope you are installing the autopilot. It will do you a lot more good. For nav, a cell phone app like Foreflight is also a backup unless aliens take out the GPS.

Back