What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WW2 Museum on the prairie - cool!

RKellogg

Well Known Member
Last Friday I flew up to Granite Falls, MN and toured the Fagen Fliers WW2 museum there. Saw a P-38 in the middle of an annual, and lots of other cool stuff, see pix. Many of these planes fly regularly, and win trophies at Oshkosh. There is an airshow at Granite Falls (KGDB) scheduled for June 20, which will have many of these planes in the air. More info and pix here:

http://www.fagenfighterswwiimuseum.org/

- Roger

I had no idea that was even in Minnesota. Thanks for the write up, I'll definitely check it out.

Museum

Thanks Roger! This definitely goes on our bucket list as we finish phase 1 in the next two months.. Very nice photos as well.

I wound up there a few weeks ago with some old taildragger friends (Luscombe, Champ, Aeronca Sedan, etc.) and got there in time to see the P-38 make some passes. Later on Tony Phillipi showed up with the Howard 500 and beat up the airport for a while. Lots of activity. They have a courtesy car, too. By the way, the D-Day exhibit has sand from Utah Beach at Normandy. Well worth a trip.

museum

On my list also. I met Ron Fagen about fifteen years ago when involved with the ethanol industry. One would have to go some distance to find a nicer guy. On one occasion he was giving rides with the P-51 at an ethanol plant picnic. Maybe this summer.

I was glad you were able to make it over to our shop Roger. It was fun being able to see your "7" in person after reading about it in your posts. I may have to steal some of your ideas for my plane when I get to finishing it.:)
Not only do we have some great planes in the museum but we always have projects going on in the restoration shop. I've found most the RV guys enjoy the restoration shop as much or more than the museum.

Brandon Deuel

Thanks, Brandon!

Brandon, I really enjoyed the hospitality and conversations with the real people that make a special place like this work. The workshops were amazing. Yeah, seeing the P-38 and Wildcat opened up for annual condition inspection gave me new appreciation for the ground crews (and carrier crews) that kept them flying under difficult conditions. Keep up the great work. Planning to be there for the airshow on June 20th.
- Roger

Back