What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV7A - Taxing On Grass - Broken Nosewheel Pant

Hi All,

While moving the 7a on grass the front portion of the nose wheel pant literally ripped while traveling over some less than smooth terrain.

Any common sense advice on how to avoid this situation?

Does anyone have an extra front wheel pant they want to sell? 😉

Are all Tricycle nose gear fairings for the RV 6, 7, 8 and 9 the same?

Any and all help is genuinely appreciated.

There are a couple of different fairings out there. Van's, Sam James', etc.

But the big thing is ground clearance, which can be set by the builder when s/he is installing the wheel pants. Installing the pants a half inch higher or lower than the plans call for is a big difference relative to clearance from the ground.

Kyle is Correct, but there's more...

If the grass field isn't extremely smooth and the wheel rolls into a slight depression, all of a sudden, the weight and forward momentum is being carried by the bottom surface of the fairing, rather than the rolling wheel. This can result in a cracked fairing or much, much worse. Think of a pole vault. The bar sticks in "the box", the pole (front gear leg) bends, and if really over stressed, breaks. This usually results in a prop strike followed by a full nose over. Cut your wheel fairing higher, know the condition of the field you're landing on, or stay off the grass.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Last edited by a moderator:
Over the years I have cracked a couple of these which results in a fiberglass repair on the inside and cosmetic repair on the outside. My rule of thumb is my thumb, I now trim the wheel pants so that I can get my thumb between the tire and pant all the way around. Also tire pressure has an impact, make sure your tire pressure is not too low.

Hi All,

While moving the 7a on grass the front portion of the nose wheel pant literally ripped while traveling over some less than smooth terrain.

James if you go to less then smooth terrain on occasion the best idea would be to remove the pant. I cracked the fairings multiple times. If there is Broken NW Pant Club I would qualify as a president.

There is a guy from Ukraine who makes very nice sturdy carbon fiber fairings for RVs. Extremely strong you can even jump on them. He was trying hard to sell me a pair. But when I assured him I could destroy them anyway he backed off. :)

Hi All,

I've got a RV-8 nose gear fairing as received from Vans I'd let go for 50.00 + shipping. Please PM if interested.

Gerry Peterson
Merritt Island, Fl

There is a guy from Ukraine who makes very nice sturdy carbon fiber fairings for RVs. Extremely strong you can even jump on them. He was trying hard to sell me a pair. But when I assured him I could destroy them anyway he backed off. :)

Having watched Vlad crack his wheel pants I can assure you that his statement above is not stretching the truth!

DSCN2758.jpg

The lower surface of the nose cone can be cut away and reglassed to just below the big nut/lower end of the strut for extra ground clearance (see photo).

I would be wary about just cutting away the lower surface as you would lose any skid plate effect unless you also used something like the AntiSplat skid plate.

Fin
9A

Gerry: Thank you for all of your time on the phone this evening. I hope the hurricane clean up goes smoothly and I truly appreciate the help with the nose wheel fairing! PS - What is the name of the forum member who talks about how to prep all the fiberglass pin holes with West System?

Fin: That is exactly what I was looking for :)

I really appreciate everyone who took the time to respond.

Back