What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Expandable sleeving for wire looms?

Steve Sampson

Well Known Member
I seem to use just about everything for the wire loom. Mostly wax ties, but also adel clamps, plastic ties with adhesive mounts and VANS corrugated duct.

One product which I have is some expandable braided sheathing which is useful where the loom is partly visible and also where you want to pull the occasional wire out of the side of the sheath/sleeve.

My question is this. It partly unravels at the end, looking rather untidy. Can someone suggest how to terminate this sleeving/sheath in a presentable fashion? A picture would be even better.

Thanks.

I seem to use just about everything for the wire loom. Mostly wax ties, but also adel clamps, plastic ties with adhesive mounts and VANS corrugated duct.

One product which I have is some expandable braided sheathing which is useful where the loom is partly visible and also where you want to pull the occasional wire out of the side of the sheath/sleeve.

My question is this. It partly unravels at the end, looking rather untidy. Can someone suggest how to terminate this sleeving/sheath in a presentable fashion? A picture would be even better.

Thanks.

A short peice of shrink tubing with integral adhesive will do a good job. It's available from most of the electronics supply houses. eg. Allied Electronics, Newark Electronics, Mouser and I'm sure ther are many others.

I like using heat shrink on the end - looks really nice. Another way which I leaned first was to start with the piece of snake skin "long", then tie it to the wire bundle a little short of where you want it. Now bunch up the snake skin (make it large) and push it towards and "over" the place you tied it. This essentially inverts the end on itself. Add another tie (or cable tie) and you're done - the cut ends are hidden!

Yeah, pictures would help, I know, but I'm on a trip this weekend and don't have any handy.

Paul

Try folding the ends back inside itself. This may be what Paul is saying.

Thanks.

Steve,

You can take the end of the expandable sleeving and flare it out by pushing it back (about 6 inches), then tuck an inch or two back into the flare (sorta inside in?), then squeeze the sleeve tight again and put a tywrap over the end (make sure the tywrap is over part that you tucked in). It's quick easy and is presentable and no heat the melt the sleeveing.

Is there a version of that stuff that doesn't melt so easily? It's great stuff for bundling in my computer systems but I'd be worried about fire hazard in my RV.

Industrial products

Is there a version of that stuff that doesn't melt so easily? It's great stuff for bundling in my computer systems but I'd be worried about fire hazard in my RV.

That's the cheap plastic stuff on your computer cables...:)

Many, many options exist for materials... we need a good industrial product for our planes.

Many variations here....

http://cableorganizer.com/flame-retardant-sleeve/

They will usually send you a sample....

gil A

ADDED

I've dealt with Waytek before - with no problems

Their polyester is good to 125 C

http://order.waytekwire.com/IMAGES/M37/catalog/220_120.PDF

..and their fibreglas stuff is good on an EGT probe next to an exhaust pipeat 1200 F!!

http://order.waytekwire.com/IMAGES/M37/catalog/220_121.PDF

Last edited:
Terminating sleeving

I use this type of sleeving all the time. I have found the easiest way to keep the ends from fraying is to cut it with a hot soldering iron. This melts the fraying ends while cutting it to the desired length. Then adding some heat shrink tubing over the ends cleans it up.

Jason Smith
avionics tech
experimental panel builder

Some really helpful info there. Thanks. It is curious how obvious it is to deal with the problem once you have been told. Cheers.

Back