What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cigarette Lighter in Panel

flybill7

Well Known Member
I'm mounting a cigarette lighter receptacle I bought from SteinAir in my panel. Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to secure it in the panel? I guess I could just make a hole and glue the thing in.

panel7aug071cm6.jpg

Thanks in advance, Bill

I put mine in the panel, and next time I might put it elsewhere. Last thing I want is cords strung across the cockpit. Imho, a better place for it might be hidden behind the panel, far to one side or the other.

Consider what you'll plug into it, and consider where that device will be typically rest or be mounted.

flybill7 said:
I'm mounting a cigarette lighter receptacle I bought from SteinAir in my panel. Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to secure it in the panel? I guess I could just make a hole and glue the thing in.

I think if you'll check that the receptacle is two piece and unscrews. You shouldn't need any glue. At least that's how mine went in. I wanted mine readily available in case I need it. I might need to plug in my handheld backup radio or GPS, for example. I put it between the throttle and mixture (no prop control, FP.) That seemed to be an area where I could get to it and that didn't interfere with anything.

Bob Kelly

how to mount

The receptical is a two piece unit. You unscrew to back housing from the receptical, cut the appropriate hole size and screw the two pieces back together sandwitching between the panel.

Jason said:
The receptical is a two piece unit. You unscrew to back housing from the receptical, cut the appropriate hole size and screw the two pieces back together sandwitching between the panel.

Well I'll be darned. Sure enough, it does unscrew. I wouldn't have noticed that in a million years! I'm reconsidering where I want it as well.

Thanks, Bill

Here's an alternative installation which I did and I'm pretty happy with it.

I placed a power receptacle on the bottom of the panel, hidden from sight.
I fabricated a cable which fits into that socket and the other end is a
cigarette lighter socket. It's out of sight when not needed.

See pics and documentation here:

http://www.rv7-a.com/avionics_panel_4.htm

Look for entry dated 10/29/04.

subpanel

I mounted my 12v adapter on the forward side of the pax subpanel. This unit has a 4-hole mounting flange on one side and a "weather proof" lid. Available in most auto departments. The guy wearing the blue vest can point the way.

Steve

Hey Bill,

I couldn't think of anything I would need to plug in that needed a cord going to the panel area so I mounted mine facing aft in the flap motor housing pilar so it is behind me in the baggage area. I really did not want to see it in the panel.

Had a nice time with you at Oshkosh. Next year we go in our RV's.

Mike R.

I mounted one in my panel, but I also went to the local automotive store and picked one up that's black plastic and has a little mounting foot on it. I mounted it on my subpanel. It has a little cover (advertised as water proof). I plan on using it for powering things like a 496 or other portable GPS if I don't want to tear into the unit's power plug.

I mounted my 12v adapter on the forward side of the pax subpanel. This unit has a 4-hole mounting flange on one side and a "weather proof" lid. Available in most auto departments. The guy wearing the blue vest can point the way.

Same here. And if the receptacle is wired directly to the battery with an inline fuse, not only can be it be used with a trickle charger, but it becomes another E-bus.

Mine is primarily for a trickle charger (always hot). It's mounted on the sub-panel on the passenger side.

I installed mine through the floor panel between the two seats directly over the wing spar a few inches back from the fuel selector valve. There is enough room for the backend of the outlet to set between the front and rear wing spar members. I included an inline 8 Amp fuse just after the outlet and the power to the outlet is also switched and protected at the panel via an EXPII BUS controller.

J.C.

VW Lighter

I purchased a Volkswagen cig lighter and put it in the panel. It was 4 years ago but it was about $20 and really looks nice. It has a ring around it that is lit if you want which of course is very nice at night. It also has a substantial cover with a hinge that won't break off from use. You can see it on my web site at
http://web.mac.com/dbgrosch/iWeb/Site/RV6A.html
Click on the picture titled 16-16 and the lighter is to the right of the Vision Microsystems and above the three breakers. You could also buy this airplane for $98,500 and get the built in lighter for 'free'. :)

I installed my power adapter on the front right side of the panel, but I wish I would have installed another one on the pilot side, under the panel for my ANR headset. (I stopped using batteries in it a while ago) It stays plugged in all the time so it can be hidden.

One more thing still on the todo list.

-Clay

Back