What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A rudder cables drooping?

Radioflyer

Well Known Member
I recently saw pics of a -6a with what looked to me like loosely hanging rudder cables. So loose they must slap against the tail, I would presume. The owner says this because no rudder return springs were ever installed and that he's been flying it that way. Can someone explain if this is proper?

There is no rudder return springs in RVs, if both rudder peddles are moved aft the cable could looked to be lose as you describe. This can happen if the rudder has been moving from stop to stop by wind or by push of a hand on ground but in normal situation and in the flight the rudder peddles are pushed and stay forward and no issues with the cable.

Ok, I see what you're saying and glad I asked. Good to know its a normal situation. So, this is the way it is for all RV's, even with tail wheels?

I have installed rudder pedal return springs on my -6 and -7, works well to keep rudder cables taught. A tighter spring on either side can also be used to correct for an out of trim rudder.

Back