- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-18-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
Dang,

I flew today after the upgrade but never turned on the AP since I needed some stick time.

Sorry I can't confirm if it killed mine or not...I did turn it on while on the ground just to see if the TRK button worked on the screen. It engaged like normal and did not fault out while sitting there.

One thing is for sure though, if TeamX determines they have a bug this significant, you can bet that they will find the root cause and post an update fast.....
No offense, but it has been determined that they have a bug this significant. I do hope they come out with a fix fast. I will leave my response to this.....
RV Hotel (hangar, room, car) at X35 in north FL

Commercial ASEL/S A&P/IA EAA Technical Counselor

Dynamic Prop Balancing, Prebuy Inspections, Condition Inspections, Repairs and Mods, Injector Tuning, Airframe, Engine, Panel Upgrades, Ferrying, etc.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:31 AM

Default Auto pilot disconnecting

Flew to 7 airports yesterday all on Auto pilot and it disengaged 3 times for no apparent reason. Reengages OK with the AP button. This happened after upgrading to 5.7.
BTW I really would like my G3X Touches to Animate weather and to set the VNAV to the next waypoint as DEFAULTS, please.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:14 AM

Nope. It's not just you.

I called my buddy Dennis yesterday because I saw he had flown on Flightaware. It was the first flight after his buddy Jim (me) updated his G3X to V5.70. I asked him how his autopilot was doing. He responded that it was curious I asked as it went wonky on him and turned off. He figured he had a warranty issue. I explained to him the same problem seems to be manifesting itself in the G3X with V5.70 software and the GMC 307. He was relieved to find out what was causing his issue.

Jim
Old 02-19-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliltd View Post
Nope. It's not just you.

I called my buddy Dennis yesterday because I saw he had flown on Flightaware. It was the first flight after his buddy Jim (me) updated his G3X to V5.70. I asked him how his autopilot was doing. He responded that it was curious I asked as it went wonky on him and turned off. He figured he had a warranty issue. I explained to him the same problem seems to be manifesting itself in the G3X with V5.70 software and the GMC 307. He was relieved to find out what was causing his issue.

Jim
Not just the GMC307, I have the older GMC305.

-Dan
Old 02-19-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweyant View Post
... I have the older GMC305.

-Dan
Yep, I have the 305 too.

2017 Dues Paid
Old 02-19-2018, 09:21 AM

Hello,

We agree that there seems to be good evidence now that there is an issue with V5.70 despite the fact that both of our G3X Touch aircraft have flown many hours on autopilot without a disconnect.

Regardless of how much bench and flight testing we do, we don't always catch everything, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

We have removed V5.70 from the website and replaced it with V5.60. For those needing assistance downgrading from V5.70 to V5.60, we ask that you contact our product support group by phone or email as shown below.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:41 PM

Default Downgrading software to v5.6

Is there something special to downgrading? Can we just put v5.6 on the card from the website and insert it into the GDU and let it do its thing just like how we upgrade?
Dual Garmin G3X Touch w/ GTN-650
Currently flying!

2018 Dues Paid!
Old 02-19-2018, 01:57 PM

I hadnít upgraded since last spring because my system was fairly stable. I upgraded to 5.7 this morning then went to the Garmin page to remind myself of what the update had to offer and was surprised the update wasnít there. Iím going to hold off on downgrading a while since I donít need to fly and Steve and his team are on the ball.

When I was going to downgrade in the past because an update broke something, the G3X guys warned me I might lose settings, etc.

If a number of you successfully downgrade and a fix doesnít happen in a few days, Iíll give the downgrade a try.

In the future Iím going to check Vans Airforce before upgrading.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:08 PM

Default AP failing

Has anyone else had any autopilot issues after this upgrade?
I did the upgrade the other day and everything seemed to go fine.
Went to fly this afternoon and the autopilot keeps failing on me.
Looking at the log file the error message is:
AP Fail/Abnormal disengage/00000004
When I power cycle the AP Panel and servos it will either fail on startup, or work for a few seconds up to a couple minutes before it fails again.
Thanks,
Dan

I have exactly the same problem. I thought it was me also, it's intermittent. One fail event seems to be associated with the alignment of the ADAHRS that takes place at start up, then it will fail again during taxi, then come back on.

If I don't do anything at start-up and just sit while it aligns, it's better, if I start the engine or turn on other switches that causes an AP warning that sometime goes away and sometime not.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:28 PM

Default The downgrade instructions

Called for the instructions to revert to V5.60, Jonathan was very helpful and sent the instructions, shown below.

Good Afternoon
I understand that you are having issues with 5.70. Our engineers are hard at work investigating the issue.
If you would like to backload the software, here is a link to the 5.60 software and instructions:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/043lzhe1ug...y_560.exe?dl=0
To backload the software, load the software to the SD card, inset the card, then start up the system normally.
Press menu, menu, tools, databases, then menu one more time. Here you can manually load the software to the GDU.
You will need to do this to each GDU.
Once the displays are reloaded, start up the system in config mode and go to the system info section.
Touch the LRUs that have been updated with 5.70 like the GSA 28s and G5 then touch the software line on the right. Press menu then select reload software. Looks like just these four LRUs were updated with 5.07:
No one has a GMC 507 yet, and the GDL 5X is very new.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks,
Jonathan C

Last edited by sibriggs : 06-23-2018 at 03:27 PM.