What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Onepak Subscription

RVG8tor

Well Known Member
Anyone use this? I bought mine and it works great but then I just noticed that even though the Onepak comes with the IFR chart part for Garmin Pilot the basic VFR half of Garmin is still a separate subscription. At least that is what mine is showing.

My basic VFR Garmin Pilot subscription still shows that is expires this month even though I purchased the Onepak for my plane.

Is this correct, do you still have to pay separate for the Garmin Pilot basic subscription. This kind of defeats the whole Onepak idea to me.

I just want to make sure this is how this works before I renew my Garmin Pilot subscription.

Cheers

I have the OnePak as well. I think you'll be OK. Basically I believe what's happened is you have 2, concurrent Pilot subscriptions--your original VFR and the new IFR one courtesy of your OnePak subscription. The IFR one didn't replace or overwrite the VFR one even though you most likely had the same user ID and everything as I did. Once your VFR one expires you should still have the IFR one which includes all of the basic VFR features.

Last edited:
Makes sense

I have the OnePak as well. I think you'll be OK. Basically I believe what's happened is you have 2, concurrent Pilot subscriptions--your original VFR and the new IFR one courtesy of your OnePak subscription. The IFR one didn't replace or overwrite the VFR one even though you most likely had the same user ID and everything as I did. Once your VFR one expires you should still have the IFR one which includes all of the basic VFR features.

Now that makes sense.

My basic subscription to Garmin Pilot expires on Friday the 13th so who knows what could happen! :)

Cheers

Make sure you don't have just the IFR add-on. It requires a standard subscription to function.

Make sure you don't have just the IFR add-on. It requires a standard subscription to function.

UH-Oh! :eek: I totally misunderstood how the IFR upgrade worked--my apologies!~ :eek: I wasn't aware that the IFR premium package was just an add-on to the VFR Standard package and that we'd have to main the VFR subscription.

Not Onepak

So I guess this means it is not really a Onepak, it is a Onepak + Garmin Pilot Basic. Kind of defeats the on stop one subscription package for all your needs idea.

I will have to make a suggestion to Garmin I guess.

Cheers

Did anyone figure out if this is accurate?

I'm trying to decide if this is worth it for me or not.

Is this accurate?

Garmin Pilot = $150
GTN650 Charts = $290
G3X Charts = $150

Current Total = $590

Onepak = $649.

If I'm understanding it correctly I get everything I'm paying $590 for, plus the other updates for my GTN650 and updates for a handheld if I decide to get one?

Thanks,

-Dan

The OnePak does require you to purchase the standard VFR Garmin Pilot subscription separate to be able to use the included IFR upgrade. The OnePak only includes the IFR upgrade for Garmin Pilot. I ran into this as well this year when I started using the OnePak.

Did anyone figure out if this is accurate?

I'm trying to decide if this is worth it for me or not.

Is this accurate?

Garmin Pilot = $150
GTN650 Charts = $290
G3X Charts = $150

Current Total = $590

Onepak = $649.

If I'm understanding it correctly I get everything I'm paying $590 for, plus the other updates for my GTN650 and updates for a handheld if I decide to get one?

Thanks,

-Dan

What subscription are you getting for $290 on the GTN?

Also the OnePak for $649 does not include flight charts so you won't get approach plates with that one.

Last edited:
What subscription are you getting for $290 on the GTN?

Also the OnePak for $649 does not include flight charts so you won't get approach plates with that one.

The $290 is just the navigation data for the 650.

Does the $649 include the G3X approach plates, and not the GTN ones, or none?

=Dan

The $290 is just the navigation data for the 650.

Does the $649 include the G3X approach plates, and not the GTN ones, or none?

=Dan

The "Garmin" Navigation only database subscription for the US only is $299 per year.

The $649 OnePak does not include Flight Charts (approach plates). The one that does is $799.

One thing to keep in mind is that the OnePak includes some databases that can't be used by some devices. Like the Flight Charts, Airport Directory, IFR/VFR charts won't work on a GTN6XX box. They do work on the G3X which has the larger screen to make them usable. Also the GTN7XX can use them as well.

The "Garmin" Navigation only database subscription for the US only is $299 per year.

The $649 OnePak does not include Flight Charts (approach plates). The one that does is $799.

One thing to keep in mind is that the OnePak includes some databases that can't be used by some devices. Like the Flight Charts, Airport Directory, IFR/VFR charts won't work on a GTN6XX box. They do work on the G3X which has the larger screen to make them usable. Also the GTN7XX can use them as well.

Brian,
When you say "Also the GTN7XX can use them as well", are you saying that the GTN7XX can use the G3X flight charts etc as mentioned above?
Thanks.
Johan

Brian,
When you say "Also the GTN7XX can use them as well", are you saying that the GTN7XX can use the G3X flight charts etc as mentioned above?
Thanks.
Johan

If you buy a OnePak that includes flight charts, yep the GTN7xx is covered.

You can?t buy the cheaper G3X bundle that includes flight charts and expect to use them on the GTN....

Brian,

I have lots of uncertainty around the packages.

1. When you say cheaper G3X bundle, are you refering to the North America database bundle for $149.95, which includes Flight Charts? What is the alternative?

2.When you have current Flight Charts on the GTN7XX and the G3X, when selecting an coupled approach on the GTN, is the chart displayed on the G3X from its own database or pushed from the GTN? Can the G3X display any charts from the GTN that is not in its database? The reason for the question is if you have expired flight charts in the GTN and current Flight charts in the G3X, which is displayed on each unit?

Thanks.

Johan

Brian,

I have lots of uncertainty around the packages.

1. When you say cheaper G3X bundle, are you refering to the North America database bundle for $149.95, which includes Flight Charts? What is the alternative?

2.When you have current Flight Charts on the GTN7XX and the G3X, when selecting an coupled approach on the GTN, is the chart displayed on the G3X from its own database or pushed from the GTN? Can the G3X display any charts from the GTN that is not in its database? The reason for the question is if you have expired flight charts in the GTN and current Flight charts in the G3X, which is displayed on each unit?

Thanks.

Johan

1. US Database Bundle $149.95 Including Garmin Navigation, Obstacles, SafeTaxi, Airport Directory, FliteCharts, IFR/VFR Charts, and Terrain (9AS) databases.

Pretty much the least expensive option to get it all for the G3X only (won't help you at all with a GTN). This includes the Garmin Nav database. The one with the Jepp Nav database cost more.

2. All devices must have their own database. There is no sharing of databases between the GTN and the G3X. A chart displayed on the G3X comes from its own internal database. A chart displayed on the GTN comes from its own database.

I don't have a GTN7XX unit but if the chart is current on the G3X and expired on the GTN, I imagine you would get 2 different chart revisions at the same time. You would have to ask someone that has that combo or talk to TeamX to be sure. My GTN650 does not display charts so I have never encountered this situation.

To me, the best deal out there for a US pilot that flys IFR and wants to keep everything updated and has a G3X and a GTN is for you to go with the United States Standard + FliteCharts OnePak $799.00 Including Garmin Navigation, Obstacles, SafeTaxi, Airport Directory, FliteCharts, IFR/VFR Charts, Terrain, Basemap, and Frequency databases. Also includes Garmin Pilot Premium Upgrade.

If you want the least expensive route and only want to keep the Navigation database updated on the GTN but everything updated on the G3X, I would go with the US Database Bundle $149.95 for the G3X and add the Navigation Only Subscription for the GTN for $299. This however does not include the Garmin Pilot Premium upgrade.

I'm not sure if anything has changed from 7 months ago but I'm trying to figure this out as well. If you have a G3X Touch and GTN650, what is the best package to purchase if you want to fly IFR on current databases?
Also, there was a comment made above that I don't really understand (mainly because I'm new to the IFR database)... Brian stated that there is no "sharing" of databases. Okay, I'll go along with that but I thought the G3X Touch displays the information coming from a GTN, ie. an approach that gets loaded in the GTN gets displayed on the G3X touch. I'm pretty confused on what databases are needed and from what devices to fly IFR. If you need a certified GPS like the GTN 650 for example to fly IFR then why would there be IFR updates on the G3X touch?

Sorry I feel like I'm getting dumber the longer I write about this :):rolleyes::(:confused:

I'm not sure if anything has changed from 7 months ago but I'm trying to figure this out as well. If you have a G3X Touch and GTN650, what is the best package to purchase if you want to fly IFR on current databases?
Also, there was a comment made above that I don't really understand (mainly because I'm new to the IFR database)... Brian stated that there is no "sharing" of databases. Okay, I'll go along with that but I thought the G3X Touch displays the information coming from a GTN, ie. an approach that gets loaded in the GTN gets displayed on the G3X touch. I'm pretty confused on what databases are needed and from what devices to fly IFR. If you need a certified GPS like the GTN 650 for example to fly IFR then why would there be IFR updates on the G3X touch?

Sorry I feel like I'm getting dumber the longer I write about this :):rolleyes::(:confused:

Hello Amir,

Hopefully you find this posting useful.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=907583&postcount=7

Thanks,
Steve

There is no sharing of databases between the 650 and G3x, but it is not needed. When you navigate in IFR, you must use the 650 as the source for navigation data.

For example, it is not legal or actually possible to fly a GPS approach from your G3x. The G3x IFR data does not contain all the information your 650 has to fly a GPS approach. It also does not have a GPS source certified for IFR use.

If you have current 650 navigation data and current charts on another device (GTN 7XX, G3x, iPad or even paper) you are good to go in IFR. Your flight plan from your 650 can still be transferred to your G3x and you set your G3x to EXTERNAL for your navigation source.

Your G3x is then providing you with navigation information from your 650 not its own GPS or IFR data. Any navigation information needed by the autopilot, HSI or Flight Director are really being driven by the 650.

Last edited:
If you have current 650 charts you are good to go in IFR. You don't even need to keep your G3x charts current although I don't recommend that.

Hello Bob,

The GTN 650 doesn't even have charts. The display is too small, hence my recommendation to keep the navigation database up-to-date in the GTN 650 and all the other charts/databases in the G3X Touch.

Thanks,
Steve

A little different way to look at it

Some of the descriptions are a little confusing so here is Andy's version.

Approach Chart/Plate:
You need to be able to look at a current Approach Chart/Plate to be able to brief & fly the approach. You can look at this on the G3X Touch screen and would need to keep the G3X database up to date if that is your source for the approach charts. It is geo-referenced on the G3X touch meaning you can see where your airplane is on the approach chart while you are flying the approach.

For a second or different source of approach charts/plates you also get the IFR approach chart/plates in the Basic Garmin pilot subscription. If you want geo-referenced charts on the ipad to see your airplane moving on the approach chart then you need the Garmin Pilot IFR subscription.

IFR Nav Data:
To fly IFR (/G) using the GTN-650 or GNS-430 series you need a current IFR Nav database loaded in the unit. You do not need any charts/plates for the GNS/GTN unit. The GTN/GNS will send the Nav data to the G3X touch system so you see the Nav Data Waypoints on the map screen of the G3X Touch (both enroute and approach).

What I have found that works best for me in using my dual G3X Touch/GTN-650 system is:

1) Just the basic Garmin US IFR Nav Data current in the GTN-650 ($299).
2) The $149 G3X Touch subscription keeps all the current maps/charts on both of my G3X Touch screens for the full year.
3) Garmin Pilot - I can get by with the basic subscription ($75) but I usually end up buying the IFR subscription because I like having the geo-referenced approach plates when flying approaches with the Ipad for the Approach Chart source.

Since I have two G3X touch screens I usually fly the split screen PFD/Map in front of the pilot and have the approach plate for reference on the right side G3X touch. The other option is split screen PFD/Map in front of the pilot and have the approach plate on the Ipad.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Can't find G3X N. America DB bundle

I started to download my DB updates for my G3X and GTN 750. When I got to my GTN, I discovered that my subscription had expired.

I have been using the $299 Nav Data subscription on the GTN. I decided to check the other bundles before I purchased an new annual subscription.

Even though I still have a few updates left on my G3X subscription (the $149 N America DB bundle), I tried to verify the pricing on that bundle while I was looking. I was not able to find the $149 G3X North America DB bundle on the Garmin website. Does it still exist?

It looks like Garmin now has a combined bundle for G3X and GTN - the cheapest option for US only is $748.

I don't want to buy a $299 GTN bundle if I can't get the $149 G3X bundle when the G3X subscription expires.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

I started to download my DB updates for my G3X and GTN 750. When I got to my GTN, I discovered that my subscription had expired.

I have been using the $299 Nav Data subscription on the GTN. I decided to check the other bundles before I purchased an new annual subscription.

Even though I still have a few updates left on my G3X subscription (the $149 N America DB bundle), I tried to verify the pricing on that bundle while I was looking. I was not able to find the $149 G3X North America DB bundle on the Garmin website. Does it still exist?

It looks like Garmin now has a combined bundle for G3X and GTN - the cheapest option for US only is $748.

I don't want to buy a $299 GTN bundle if I can't get the $149 G3X bundle when the G3X subscription expires.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Hello Rick,

You are currently using the annual U.S. Database Bundle for your G3X Touch system, which expires in Dec., and it continues to be available today for $149.95.

You are currently using the annual U.S. Navigation Database for the GTN, which expired this month. It is still available for $299.00 if you want to renew.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
So FlyGarmin isn't the most user friendly site when it comes to depicting database prices as there's 2 ways to enter it and you don't get exactly the same results.

The best way IMO is to select the "Devices" tab which should bring up a page with your aircraft and registered devices vs the "Aviation Database and Bundle Pricing" link on the home Page. To the right of your aircraft should be a hyperlink to "Buy Databases". Clicking on that will lead you through a series of options where you select the region, followed by charts and nav data preferences. Once all of those are selected, a pricing page comes up. From there you can select Bundles (default), Annual, or Individual. If you select "Annual", it will list some but not all of each database type with a "Show All Options" link at the bottom of each list. Click on that and you should see the databases you are looking for.

I hope this helps but it can be confusing. I have gone with a bundle which might is more expensive (from the standpoint that not every database really needs updating every cycle but I'm paying for all of the databases whether it's needed or not) but it makes the updating process easier since I fly IFR most of the time.

Last edited:
G3X bundle

Steve, thanks for the quick reply. I feel more comfortable purchasing the GTN update now.

Whats odd is that I can find the $149 bundle if I start at the flyGarmin page, then click on the "Database and Bundle Pricing" on the right side of the screen. (There is no link to purchase from that pricing page.)

However, if I click through to my aircraft, select G3X Touch under Devices and click on the "Buy Databases" box, that bundle does not appear. The only bundles I see are combined G3X/GTN bundles.

Back