What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Updating the Dynon D180

Shadetree

Well Known Member
I am going to update my D180 for the first time since I have owned the RV8A. I have the 5.4 version and added a Dynon autopilot and AP74 and a Garmin GTX345. I have been reading the directions on making the update but am a little nervous about doing so.
Interested in what others have seen and what I can expect. I have the Garmin 796 and understand that I need to disconnect it before making the update.
If you have any tips, I would appreciate your feedback.
Thank you.

Some tips

I dont have the D-180 but have the D-100/D-120 and the HS34, all of the systems are on the Dynon DSAB and sit on the RS232 bus to communicate with other systems (Autopilot, transponder etc). I found that the most stable way to update the dynons was to disconnect the HS34 and make sure the other systems on the RS232 bus were turned off and then connect the specific unit that I was updating.

There was also a specific driver for the USB to RS232 cable that I needed as my laptop did not have a RS232 port, if you need this info let me know and I will try to look it up on my computer.

The Dynon folks will probably jump in here also.
Figs

Just make sure, beyond what ours have said, that you have secure connections on all cables and no chance of something coming unplugged or losing power. The update process can take a while and once it's started, it must finish completely or it may need to go to Dynon for service.

I will report my failures and/or successes once I try this tomorrow afternoon if I get off work in time. I want to get started before Dynon closes up just in case I have problems. I have 2 cables out the back of the D180, one to the 25 pin connector and the other to the 37 pin connector. My understanding is that it needs to attach to the 25 pin to update to the newest version of firmware (the left plug looking at the rear of the D180). If I'm wrong please tell me.

That is correct. The 37-pin connector is the engine monitor main harness, which is secondary in the D180. The 25-pin connector is the EFIS main harness, which is primary.

RS232 9 pin connector

If it is like the D-100 there should be a twisted pair out of the 25 pin connector with a 9 pin D sub connector on the end, this is what is used for updates.
Figs

All went well with the update once I got the driver for the USB to work. I loaded the driver from the Dynon website for my computer, a 32 bit Windows 7 but could never get it to work or recognize the D180. I borrowed a 64 bit laptop from a friend and downloaded the driver for that computer off the Dynon website and it went well after that. Took a little over an hour to download a backup and update from 5.4 to 5.6.1. That is with 5 devices, the D180, D10A, 2 servos and a AP74.
Glad that is over and done.
Thanks for the input from everyone.

Back