What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Angel Fire NM (KAXX)

sirlegin

Well Known Member
I was thinking about heading to Angel Fire NM (KAXX) from Ruidoso NM (KASS) in mid July. Last year was no problem flying into Ruidoso and out with my wife and baggage from 52F at that same time of year.
I have a 9A with a dual lightspeed 0-320 fuel injected. Any advise or experiences at the high altitude and density altitude at Angel Fire?
Thanks
Nigel

Been there a couple of times. First visit was with with IO-320 powered -8 and full load. It worked. But we were up near Red River when we'd climbed enough (north takeoff) to swing back south over the peaks for a photo/video run heading out of town, southeast bound.

CPNqVzYWxex3reclcFPhLlUxRMqZd7vQHRdXLeuTkZTBNH9ztUcjqje6D21R2mNXUziBKhULnxs8VhOUGp-mHf-_nhuWv80uv87CN-0oGj1Vf7ALqwHcV9qxsKArWua7AwhNzV8aLA9gzTfROcnLE8hzCVk2vsn2M_d4E5ScVSZTo6Ibtnkkp7ZtJfYVx6Y08QGiGPqX5OMbxjN68S2WRAU8OLtAnL6mg3DQjIXpjxSVRR7yjsBwKbkm_0JVJzq7eixqbdHucHWPk_PqdPWQUTLj4COR0PunU2xGdwh0265iyxFhsHU1p0UveMM8gD2nuLfRo5dhmbTQIet6_uWO1K71bXVYvodAn1z3UYFx-qLnB_NGqB7ffdTbbvjqINczX-S17stI_nO7xHEGI_T1aoHDflkxGxBH90eNpTkpbokmPnm-yaA2DKNrcOWtJ25TIniWeauFA6ftHaLTnEdQAQAD6EIClDNh7vX_5kAXEi8P4YT2lxcWXZXbE9dCaUR4glNOKvmnnx4AN0Sc9_RdIN2S7Jvy84P5W2dZ18yAll0YxKJpTW9eL-_OouA2PdU4HZmNBM6rKTZvOMlV9jW1fG0FvdSjdtg=w250
AEfLWIdicnu0QYZThs_InqUhaxnjjXumepgfBaASHdxP4j1dY1cMYxxGqfKog_8j-EP1CyMyxLyjUKS1VhuxxrfrXsqaFEyyAK8lEqqB7MOMTW0XO-hTJoa1FpiKBdwfs8ozHJOMJeeny78V8JZRpEeHc8cZ9m7W3PlbNmFqmIb7R7mhvl3WMPp4fJjWyHnbxZZiz5GsEiTnBGYXG3WWlETOuncTvNRbtNFIPQ8YVD1P2LEajb3jzH4aBigJIsai2HB-S2CoByM-tQab_R0hW7f8BqpYwv4NEgmyEUgcewq3IhCQD8U-KekOID3TmujHR-55gnoF2ByWOXh8fKUIpVYR7zcKypihwJDIeCdVrItwVIQNRIMRdzfvfYj7DcgOJ9G_yyY9mBaCOOZyrhp0X0PqFuKmuC2BaA0pkonkfsmJGzs9DJLMxuooYr7UeSTpxiaH7jU2R6Z0OfIgUCYGDjyo5n349D37yqSNYtroMkV6rFMCBWQOiCNceEpODXMwoPb0KAc9ztK96IrKP-1JNxXwGo8xP9KFZ6kIapP06We7bhYowVtXQjlxG1TF_DNC1Xdey2NuqTcI6e_bE0jlhp2mYH_eM3c=w300

Last edited:
Our Navion convention is going to be at Ruidoso in a couple of weeks. We'll have some time to explore the area during the week. Any suggestions for fly-outs or fly-overs within ~200nm? I assume Angel Fire is one. I'd love to make it to Leadville but it's a bit too far for an out & back. Thanks.

We had a saying,

when I lived in Albuquerque ----- "the mountains around Angel Fire are paved with Texas aluminum" ------ seriously, I had a C-182, at the time -- we were always careful about our weights, the winds, and used early morning departures.

Fly safe,

Ron

I live in Albuquerque and am used to flying at high density altitude. I love to tell people that I climbed so fast out of Angel Fire that I was at 9,500' 1 minute after takeoff! I leave out the part that it's only about 1,000' above field elevation.
Angel Fire is one of the prettiest areas I have ever been to - but it's surrounded by big mountains so it's something to take very serious.
RV's are not a problem at all with good planning. It does have a very long runway-crosswinds would be the only problem for landing and departure. I would stay 2,000 agl at a minimum crossing any mountains due to winds/turbulence. Plan ahead, be careful, and have fun!

Last edited:
Not much there after landing at KAXX, no coffee, candy machine or anything for a proper fighter pilot breakfast. Pretty scenery though and the FBO guy and I talked dual purpose motorcycles until a corporate jet landed and required the red carpet.

Go to KRTN just a hop over the hills northeast bound and land at KRTN for cheap gas, free burger and coffee with cookies. Dusty and cohort will take care of ya'll.

Cheers, Hans

To Hans' point, we quit flying to Angel Fire when we visit northern NM. If you have ground transportation in AF, fine. But much better logistics flying to Taos.

Always take off to the north if you can and gain altitude over the open valley before departing the area. You have a few options just in case..
Winds can be from all directions on the landing and take off roll. Just be on your toes. It's very doable just do it early in the day and with some common sense planning.

Ditto on the Raton statement. I read somewhere they now have several rental Surburbans and have always been very accommodating in my stops there. One of my very favorite places to stop and they have a crosswind runway.
Its a nice drive from Raton to the Moreno valley up the Cimarron canyon.

Back