What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recommendation-Multiengine add on rating?

C. Brenden

Well Known Member
I'd like to get an add on, Multi-engine rating. There doesn't seem to be much where I live. I am considering a week long course somewhere. It's quite an investment of time and money and I don't want to go in without a good chance of success. Does anyone have a good recommendation of the best place to go for this?
Thanks in advance.

It sounds like a good idea. You have to do a biennial anyway... so adding a rating covers that. Search Barnstormers. There are many many places to add the raring. It is a simple training course. Older twins that don't have glass will be cheaper. Find a school with an examiner right on payroll. It is fun and does not take that long. Years ago, I did a course with a Champion twin. It was fabric and had two 100 horse engines. Sort of a hoot to add on... to many years of courses. Now, I fly a King Air now and then. Not much different... except it starts up differently. And is heavy.
Have fun with your new rating... good luck

RV-82RPrototypeAs.jpg

Credit to Mr Roofman

I used Multi Engine Training at the Arlington TX airport. I flew in and they picked me up and delivered me to the motel. Three days and I was done with multi/instrument/commercial.
That was several years ago but at the time was reasonable costs.

Just did the Multi

I just got my add on. Took the training in a Diamond DA-42 which was stress free. My twin comanche has counter rotating props and has a bit more knobs but actually fly's a lot better than that Diamond. The add-on only required around 4hrs but I ended up with about 12hr in the Diamond. Took me 1 month from first lesson till check ride. The diamond is pricey and you may do better by just taking the lessons in the plane you plan to fly or rent.
Good luck on your new adventure!

Last edited:
Sheble or American Flyers?

Sheble or American Flyers? I found these two training opportunities. Has anyone had experience with either of these for multi-engine training?

Sheble

Sheble is in Needles, CA now. Right on I40 at the river. Beech Travel Air, you could probably do the rating in 2-3 days.

Sheble

They have been at various locations along the river for decades.
Blythe
Needles
Bullhead City
Las Vegas area.
I believe their entire operation for landplanes is in Needles now. They previously had a small office in Needles, then were gone for a long time, now they have the FBO.
They were also in Kingman for awhile.

Multi add-on

Craig,
Check out multienginetimebuilding.com. I did a commercial/instrument multi add-on with the owner, Rob, when he was based in Nashville. He moved back to Phoenix a couple of years ago. $3599 and it's all in a twin Comanche. No sim time. Rob has been instructing a long time in the Comanche and does a great job. I started on Saturday morning and took the checkride Monday afternoon. Tell him I sent you!

Back