Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-22-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyAB View Post
Thanks. One last easy question. What primer works well on the fibreglass? I used Akzo/Nobel for the interior but I'm sure that isn't appropriate to use in this application.
an epoxy primer will have the best grip for F/G. Verify that it is specified for F/G use. I use SPI epoxy primer and it is very strong and durable. It is specified for F/G, in addition to steel and aluminum. Results are obviously contingent upon the cleanliness of the prep. Be sure to leave enough time for solvents to evaporate before spraying. F/G will hold the solvents longer than metal.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 06-22-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
Scott,

Do you know if the intersection fairings are now gelcoated or just the pants themselves? I planned on the RVbits intersection fairings, but may try the vans parts if they are now gelcoated. The previous ones were pretty rough.

Larry
That is one exception that I forgot about.
The intersection fairings that are available for all models except RV-14 do not have gelcoat because they are designed to have additional glass layers added during installation.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 06-22-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
an epoxy primer will have the best grip for F/G. Verify that it is specified for F/G use. I use SPI epoxy primer and it is very strong and durable. It is specified for F/G, in addition to steel and aluminum. Results are obviously contingent upon the cleanliness of the prep. Be sure to leave enough time for solvents to evaporate before spraying. F/G will hold the solvents longer than metal.

Larry
Thank you Larry. I will look into SPI.
RV10 - Empennage (Started March 2017)
St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
2017 dues paid
Reserved:C-GRPY (GRumPY)
Old 06-22-2018, 01:07 PM

I use epoxy resin but I hit it with a heat gun to get it to be thin and runny, then paint it on and squeegee it off. It fills pin holes and any exposed weave and any dry micro porosity. Shine a light at a very low angle to the surface to expose voids, pin holes and other irregularities. Lighting is critical to good surface prep and painting.

You can also use a high build primer and rub it in with your fingers, but I like the epoxy method. It is a one stop sealing procedure for everything.