What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vac pump drive for ignition timing pickup?

rjcthree

Well Known Member
Has anyone successfully employed a geared or belt driven ignition timing pickup driven from a vacuum pump drive? I know mine is over driven 21:16 (1.31:1) and would have to be reduced back down, but on the H2, it?s in a great place to do something with. Thanks.

Has anyone successfully employed a geared or belt driven ignition timing pickup driven from a vacuum pump drive? I know mine is over driven 21:16 (1.31:1) and would have to be reduced back down, but on the H2, it’s in a great place to do something with. Thanks.

I built a timing pickup device to go in place of the mag for my 320. I am now looking at options for the 540, but it has a 1.5:1 mag drive. I thought about gearing, but it makes the machining job much harder (no cnc for me). I will probably make a ring to go on the crank instead. I have an old flywheel with the 7" pulley, so will be difficult to put magnets on it (not much meat to work with).

Even if you want to make a gear redution setup, you may have a hard time getting off the shelf gears to get the reduction done right, unless you have the tooling to cut your own gears.

Larry

Back