What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotax 915is in RV's

Jesse

Well Known Member
I wonder who will be the first to install a Rotax 915is in an RV, and what model it will be. I'm thinking its a perfect match for the -9/A. 135HP maintainable to 15,000 feet. I think it would work in any of the 2-seaters except the -12 or -14.

Last edited:
That's a neat little package. If Rotax weight info is accurate, it's about 100 lb. lighter than an IO-320, so for a -9 or -9A you'd really have to extend the nose, fit the Mother of All Crush Rings, go with a depleted uranium spinner, etc. for it to balance. My IO-320 -9A is tail heavy-ish with two up and full baggage already.

Not sure what the advantage would be. Aside from probable CG issues (the info I read was that it's significantly lighter than a 4 cyl Lyc.) and lack of availability (it won't be available until 2017), I have to wonder about cost.

I don't know who will be first, but it won't be me :)

I've given serious consideration to going down that route in a couple of years time, but the figures I've heard bandied about for cost are staggering. Upwards of $40,000USD was one rumour, and if you price the 914 at a little over $30,000USD that sounds somewhat consistent.

IT would be the perfect match for a -9 if you could get it to balance, and I've no doubt it would be doable, but is the weight saving & performance worth the cost?

Time will tell.

There is a 915is RV9 registered to Vans Inc... they said they abandoned the project because of W&B, the motor would have to be forward mounted too far to make sense... the RV9 was indeed the best fit, but still doesn't workout they said... it will not happen

Back