What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First flight

DeltaVee47

Good morning
We flew N557GB for the first time yesterday-twice actually.
The plane flies perfect straight and level hands off. A real testament to the Vans folks that a rank amateur can assemble a plane that flies great right off.
Two questions
1)The manifold pressure was reading about 30 inches on takeoff where I was expecting maybe 28.5 at sea level. I do not see that there is a calibration ability for this in my G3X touch system. I have dual p mags with a tee junction for the MAP tubing. Could a slight restriction somewhere cause this reading or should I look elsewhere?
2)I love the sensitive control inputs but pitch seems almost too sensitive and when I put the nose down and speed built up the control forces became very heavy. I reduced power to avoid pulling too hard. Normal for this bird? I actually hope so and I will learn to use the touch of a surgeon.
Otherwise perfect flight. We found nothing amiss under the cowl after so we buttoned up and flew again because why not?
Thanks everyone for this and all the support over the years
Greg Beckner

Congrats, certainly an exciting time and it only gets better.

Your experience with the control is normal, specially if you are not use to a RV.

Congratulations on your first flight!!

Pitch trim is sensitive in the -14. You can set pitch trim speed to be very slow at higher airspeeds which helps.

Congrats!!

As others have said, RVs are pitch-sensitive and the trim motor speed can be adjusted. This should all have been covered in your transition training... :)

1)The manifold pressure was reading about 30 inches on takeoff where I was expecting maybe 28.5 at sea level. I do not see that there is a calibration ability for this in my G3X touch system. I have dual p mags with a tee junction for the MAP tubing. Could a slight restriction somewhere cause this reading or should I look elsewherer

It's not a restriction, just not overly accurate sensors. Most are built for EFI systems that don't require tight tolerences (being off an inch is pretty common). You need to do some math to convert the local altimeter setting to actual barometric pressure at your altitude, then compare with G3X with engine off. If you are at seal level, the local altimeter will be barometric pressure. You can then see how far off the sensor is. You can build a custom table in the G3X to match your sensor. The problem is that you will need to get various readings and match them to actual pressure levels, as well as the voltage output at those levels to build a curve. Not likely worth it if it is only off an inch or so. You can do it on the bench with a vacuum pump and vacuum gauge, but requires some math.

Congrats on your first flight.

Larry

Last edited:
I would replace the word "sensitive" to "responsive" when talking about Van's control response. ;)

Sure, though that won't be the first thought of anyone coming from the spam can side of GA. Unless someone has a bit of time with other "thumb and two fingers" control pressure (not movement!) airplanes (Pitts, Extra, etc.), it'll be awhile before they've acclimated sufficiently to enjoy the responsiveness.

For those of us who learned to drive without power steering/brakes, remember how sensitive those systems seemed at first. I sure wasn't reveling in their responsiveness, that's for sure! :D

Anyway, those first moments of acclimatizing to a new airplane's control characteristics are accounted for by proper training in advance of one's own airplane's first flight.

I often hear non-RV folks and folks that have one or two flights in an RV comment that RV's are "sensitive", like that is a bad thing. I choose to recast the conversation in terms of "responsive", and not promulgate the misconception. The word "sensitive" has a slightly negative connotation as opposed to the word "responsive", which seems more ... well ... delightful!

I hear what you're saying, but the editor in me is forcing me to point out that airplanes are (where and as appropriate) invariably described as "pitch-sensitive" not "pitch-responsive." I'll submit that, as an adjective, "sensitive" is simply descriptive (and, in this context, entirely accurate) and not pejorative in any way.

Rather than writing to - even if only in our own imagination - mitigate a perceived negative connotation, future RV builders and pilots would be better served by an unvarnished understanding of the type. The use of euphemisms serves nobody well.

Sensitivity aside, any airplane with such a wide range of easily achieved airspeeds between Va and Vne - in combination with more pitch authority than a new RV pilot has possibly experienced elsewhere - demands respect and competent transition training, as the stick is truly the wing-removal lever.

Wow, you really like to argue. OK, you can have the last word, I give up.

I really don't. I just won't let an attempt at glossing over the objective truth about these airplanes (definitely pitch-sensitive, though well within the bounds of controllability and even fun for a well-trained pilot) stand when minimizing that reality could easily lead inexperienced pilots astray.

I was initially moved to respond in this thread by my impression that the OP was surprised by the pitch characteristics of his new airplane during the first flight. At the least, that implies inadequate transition training and/or proficiency, the possible consequences of which should be obvious to everyone.

If I've incorrectly interpreted the original message, then I apologize to the OP for my mischaracterization of his post and reiterate my congratulations on his first flight.

No need to give up; I'm out.

Sensitive - quick to detect or respond to slight changes, signals, or influences.
Responsive - reacting quickly and positively.

Everyone at Van's describes the pitch (and roll and yaw) as responsive.......:rolleyes:

Last edited:
MP

What did the MP read before engine start? It should read the same as the altimeter setting, minus about 1? for every 1000? above sea level.
I have noted that Vans induction system is very efficient. While the usual Cessna might lose an inch or even two, going thru various filters, twists and turns, the RV actually gains a small amount in flight due to ram air pressure.

Thanks to everyone for responding.
Turner, Bob and Larry, perfect answers. I?m not too worried about it now.
The suggestion to turn down the a/p servo speed is helpful.
I did not realize that my words would be parsed so closely or I would have been more careful in using the word sensitive. In fact Ken is probably correct but then vitiates his point with repetitive snarky references to transition training. Although not germane to the original question I think Vans is not serving new RV pilots well by failing to facilitate transition training. In our litigious society this may be a problem for them someday no matter how unjust. If Ken is providing this he?s keeping it a secret and so is everyone else. In fact I found 1 person willing to provide RV14 specific training, booked out 4 months, 1500 miles from where I live. So, like most of us I suspect, I trained up in other RV models. The point of my query, however poorly worded, was not that the ?responsiveness ? was a problem, but that it was even more than in the 6 and 9 that I had flown in the past and I was soliciting reassurance that exquisite ?responsiveness ? was to expected in this model.
Anyway the plane is awesome and I will be offering transition training in it someday. Pay it forward.
Peace out
Greg

Thanks to everyone for responding.
Turner, Bob and Larry, perfect answers. I’m not too worried about it now.
The suggestion to turn down the a/p servo speed is helpful.
I did not realize that my words would be parsed so closely or I would have been more careful in using the word sensitive. In fact Ken is probably correct but then vitiates his point with repetitive snarky references to transition training. Although not germane to the original question I think Vans is not serving new RV pilots well by failing to facilitate transition training. In our litigious society this may be a problem for them someday no matter how unjust. If Ken is providing this he’s keeping it a secret and so is everyone else. In fact I found 1 person willing to provide RV14 specific training, booked out 4 months, 1500 miles from where I live. So, like most of us I suspect, I trained up in other RV models. The point of my query, however poorly worded, was not that the “responsiveness “ was a problem, but that it was even more than in the 6 and 9 that I had flown in the past and I was soliciting reassurance that exquisite “responsiveness “ was to expected in this model.
Anyway the plane is awesome and I will be offering transition training in it someday. Pay it forward.
Peace out
Greg

Thanks for the kind words, Greg. I think you make very good points, but I don't know that it's fair to put the burden of model specific training on Van's. I do agree that it would be nice if there were a bigger network of trainers out there. I'm not aware of other kitplane manufacturers doing this, with the possible exception of the big turbine jobs. I had three separate experiences in RV-14A's before I flew mine, including transition training with Mike Seager (whose services are offered through Vans as you know) which raised my awareness of it's pitch characteristics. Now that I'm flying it, no big deal at all, but it was a consideration for me in choosing the 14A: I had a conversation with Mitch Lock at one point who told me about the trim speed adjustments.

We're starting to have a big enough community of -14/14A builders that knowledge like this can and should be disseminated widely. I've been participating actively in this forum and Facebook, and have used other builders' blogs and videos as resources. Hopefully as more CFIs get time in these birds there will be more opportunities for transition training. It's tricky because of the rules of using experimental aircraft as I understand it but the network is there for other models as I understand it (I considered getting insurance required training in a -6A close to me but managed to get scheduled with Mike).

I think the new East Coast representative for Van's (Joe C.) may be offering some transition training in the -14A he has but this is word of mouth and I'm not certain about it.

Let me add that I've communicated frequently with Ken - I think if you get to know him as I have you'll have a different reaction to his input as I've found him to be anything but "snarky". Sometimes the typewritten word comes across with a "tone" that wasn't intended. (ask me know I know wink wink).

Last edited:
Greg,

Your reaction to your new ride is very normal. Soon you won?t even consciously think about control inputs at all. Instead, you?ll think about a pitch change or turn and your RV will seem to do it all by itself. That?s the RV magic that creates the RV grin. Enjoy your new machine!

Cheers,

Dennis

I flew a 14 at Van's yesterday and then ordered the empennage kit. I heard it may be sensitive in pitch and was ready for it however I did not think it was bad at all. I'm use to flying a Tiger Moth and a Waco which does not come close to being sensitive or responsive. I can see how on a first flight it may get your attention especially if the trim speed is too fast.

Congrats! I can't wait to get there but plan on enjoying the journey.

Being a helicopter pilot, I found the controls perfectly responsive. You will get used to just thinking about moving the controls, and it magically happens. Congratulations!

I think this may be the first time I have heard an RV's controls called heavy.

:D:D:D But by heck there are some sensitive, or should that be responsive people out there. :D:D:D

Back