What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Panel Review / Comments

Guy Prevost

Well Known Member
I'm starting to acquire instruments and look harder at panel layout. The pictures below are my currently intended layout. I'm not too flexible on components at this point, but would appreciate comments on layout and design.

The compass on the right is a Precision vertical card compass. What kind of interference issues can I expect? The blanks are for unknown upgrades. Space is reserved for a larger radio stack if I ever decide to upgrade to IFR.

Far left switch is boost pump, next 3 are landing/taxi/wigwag lights. Then strobe and position lights. Bottom right switches are mags and starter. Above that is DC master, top right is emergency bus.

The rectangle at upper right is the ELT.

Flaps, trim, ap disconnect and PTT are on the stick.

Ignore the red stuff on the right edge of the panel. I didn't realize that I had a part selected when I captured the screen shot.

Thanks!
Guy

144525464-L.jpg

144525460-L.jpg

Two quick thoughts...

Hi Guy,

Two quick thoughts for you:

1) Make sure to check where the back of your "long radio" falls relative to the gear tower top cross brace. I had a heck of a time with my 430 because I put it in such a vertical spot as to interfere. Not saying you have a problem, just make sure to check before you cut.

2) Danny King taught me something about panel esthetics. He said that when people glance at a panel and pronounce it "pretty" or not, symmetry is important. This has nothing to do with functionality, just curb appeal.

OK, and the third, and probably most important comment is...it has to please YOU, not anyone else! You're the one that's going to be flying it, so in the end, don't worry what others say... ;)

BTW, I went through many, many layouts (and equipment choices) before I got where I did.

Hi Guy,

I am thinking along the same lines, but planning on both the d100 & d120. The GPS in the panel dock will be at the top of the radio stack (left) with the backup airspeed and altimeter on the right side. I had a pic of it somewhere but can't find it.

What program did you use for your image? That looks like a pretty useful tool.

You could definitely get some compass interference from the auto pilot head. Also, you don't say what is directly beneath the compass.

Directly beneath the compass is just a blank for future expansion. I could move the autopilot to that location. I could also move the compass to the side panels, but don't want to if I can make this work. FWIW, the autopilot is probably going to be a future item. I'm beginning to feel the real budgetary bite of the project and am guessing I'll want to hand-fly the plane for quite a while initially.

I currently have the inboard edges of the 2 1/4" cutouts at the edges lined up with the larger cutouts below them. I think I'll move them outboard a bit for asthetics. Paul's comment on symmetry got me thinking of that.

I'm using SolidWorks to model everything. It's fantastic software is someone else is buying it. I'm a mechanical engineer and design exo-atmospheric flight vehicles for a living. Solidworks / COSMOS are my design and analysis tools of choice.

G

Panel recommendations

On the RV-8, panel space is very limited. I would recommend that any switch/doodad that you don't need to fly the plane should go down on a sub-panel.

In my RV-8, I have several switches for lights, instrument lighting, dimming etc. that take up real estate. I also have a few circuit breakers on the panel. Lastly, my intercom is on there. I think all these really belong off the panel.

I didn't build my plane but after three years and over 400 flight hours on it, I have a short list of "better ideas".

I have had the front baggage door open in flight twice (once to me and once to a friend). I think it would be nice to have an idiot light on the panel that is illuminated if the baggage door is not locked.

I would also consider a cooling fan for the EFIS and also a windshield defogger (perhaps driven off the cooling fan).

Just my 0.02.

Regards,

Bruce
N297NW
RV-8 (427 hours)

One other thought...

I just realized Guy - you can't put something that close underneath the vertical card compass. There is a rectangular "box" under the circular portion of that type compass that houses the adjustment mechanism, and you need more clearance. I know because I didn't leave enough room and had already cut my panel when I figured this out....had to change to a regular old whiskey compass...which, quite frankly, I'd leave out completely next time. I've got two magnetometers and three GPS's. If I don't know which way the airplane is pointed in the air, a compass probably isn't going to help!

Paul

Guy,

I'm right handed so I put my higher use gear requiring some dexterity for quick changes on the right side of the panel e.g. radio...but this can be controlled by a GRT EFIS so it may be a mute point for me, not sure about the other EFIS models. I left a blank under my central top GRT for a second at some other time otherwise I may have put my radio stack middle bottom.
Look for Danny Kings cockpit tour and you'll see how he uses his infinity stick which enlightened me and I now have my start switch on the stick grip with a start switch isolate button on the side panel.
Lots of options for sure.
Best

mhflyit said:
Guy,

I'm right handed so I put my higher use gear requiring some dexterity for quick changes on the right side of the panel e.g. radio...but this can be controlled by a GRT EFIS so it may be a mute point for me, not sure about the other EFIS models. I left a blank under my central top GRT for a second at some other time otherwise I may have put my radio stack middle bottom.
Look for Danny Kings cockpit tour and you'll see how he uses his infinity stick which enlightened me and I now have my start switch on the stick grip with a start switch isolate button on the side panel.
Lots of options for sure.
Best
Not following you here. You're right handed, so don't you want the buttons and switches on the left side of the panel? Believe me, you don't want to be swapping hands all the time to tune the radios, etc. Absolutely a deal-killer for formation or critical flying.

Low Pass said:
Not following you here. You're right handed, so don't you want the buttons and switches on the left side of the panel? Believe me, you don't want to be swapping hands all the time to tune the radios, etc. Absolutely a deal-killer for formation or critical flying.

I had this same debate Bryan, when I was designing my panel, with a bunch of test pilots. Granted, there are good arguments on both sides, and frankly, it comes down to close to an even split, but for it came down to the fact that I can fly equally well with either hand, but my fine motor skills (for tuning radios, punching buttons, etc in turbulence) are better with my right hand, so I put the most used avionics stuff over there.

The vote among the test pilots kind of split between Navy and Air Force, so maybe that tells you that it is as much personal preference as it is science.... :rolleyes:

I always tell people to mock it up and play with it to see what works best for them.

Paul

Beauty of the 8 is you can reach both sides of the panel (within reason) when needed without issue but for most of the time and if in turbulence the right side for me has the finer motor skills to make frequency, transponder or GPS inputs more easily. I have a 396 up on the RH side for the same reasons; I can fiddle with it much better and with much less frustration.
The Infinity stick grip can flip/flop an SL30 (but not the 40) and you can ident from the grip too which saves on stretching to hit buttons on the panel. The GRT EFIS can control much from the middle of the panel giving the option of using your right or left hand.
I should be able to put all this to practice when I get flying!!
So for me its radio stack and GPS on the RH side, EFIS in the middle top and EIS and autopilot on the left. All lights and other electrical switches on the lower right control panel. The only switches on the panel directly related to the equipment such as EFIS master switch, autopilot override switch with GPS source switches also above the autopilot. My boost pump switch is also on the stick with a caution light above the EFIS to show its on...fuel flow would be the best check.
We're lucky to have so many options but it has to be right for you.
Once you're done and its built then you have the fun of building you check list...should i do this first or that first?#$%

I am always looking for good panel ideas. Especially since the -8 has limited panel space. So far, the best DESIGNED panel I have seen is the one from N8RV in this this thread:

Entry number 66

I like it so much I may copy it exactly, But I am really 1.5-2 years from making any panel decisions.

Panel Fun

I spent some time this weekend dreaming about panels. I am alooooong way from this, but it's a fun exercise anyway. I used epanelbuilder.com works great and its free.
Technology in this area is moving so fast that my final panel will probably be much different. Also the radio stack wasn't thought out, just a place holder.

FP15042007A0004Q.jpg

FP15042007A0004R.jpg

FP15042007A0004S.jpg

just a thought

As many of you who are building 8's have done, I have considered ways to make the most of the available panel space. One thought is to make a removable extension to go across the bottom of the panel. an extension of about one inch would create room for small items like switches and circuit breakers.

I would prefer to have circuit breakers and other items not on the panel for two reasons. The first is to free up panel space for avionics. The second is to be able to remove the main panel without having to deal with the wiring of the non-avionics items. There is no room left on the "panel" or "console" on the right side of the cockpit.

If you ran the extension all the way across the middle and sub panels, it would also provide room to install the pull out desk that Allan Erickson installed.

The desk can be seen in this thread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=5018&page=4&pp=10&highlight=desk

The only downside that I see is the obvious one, will extending the panel downward an inch or so interfere with the pilots legs during flight, ingress or egress......or more importantly, will it interfere with movement of the stick?

Do any of you have any experience with or thoughts about this concept?

Last edited:
tonyjohnson said:
(snip)

The only downside that I see is the obvious one, will extending the panel downward an inch or so interfere with the pilots legs during flight, ingress or egress......or more importantly, will it interfere with movement of the stick?

Do any of you have any experience with or thoughts about this concept?

One of the few things I don't like about the -8 is the position of the stick. I moved mine back a little, which helps, but I wish it were a little longer. As is, it just barely clears the bottom of the panel.

I'd be surprised if you could make this work comfortably.

I would strongly recommend that you find an RV-8 somewhere that you can sit in for a while, and mentally rehearse a flight in your head (3 min utes won't be enough). Reach for every knob and switch you want to install, and go through all the motions. You'll probably change your mind about some things.

You're more than welcome to use my airplane if you are near Memphis.

panel

James,

I appreciate your point. It is difficult to design a panel in an airplane that you have never flown. You have to make some guesses that you may regret later when the airplane is completed and you have a chance to check out the "guesses" that you made.

I have no idea how far the stick travel should be. If the extension was recessed, and used for circuit breakers, it could provide more clearance for stick travel, and the circuit breakers, if popped, should be visible to the pilot. Again, I am just guessing.

Put the 396 high and to the left or right, so the passenger can see it over your shoulder. Keeps the "How fast?" and "How much longer?" to a minimum.

Put nothing but vents on the side panels. When you redo you panel in two years, You won't be forced to keep stuff over there or fill in the holes when they are no longer needed. You can get a new center blank and start from scratch. Not so with the side panels.

N130WN said:
Put the 396 high and to the left or right, so the passenger can see it over your shoulder. Keeps the "How fast?" and "How much longer?" to a minimum.

Put nothing but vents on the side panels. When you redo you panel in two years, You won't be forced to keep stuff over there or fill in the holes when they are no longer needed. You can get a new center blank and start from scratch. Not so with the side panels.

Good points both. I've got a Lowrance airmap something or other that my father-in-law donated. It'll hang under the seatback weldment for the passenger's in flight entertainment.

Solidworks panel

Hello,
I am changing the instrument panel layout of my RV-8.
Can you tell me where to find the solidworks files of the panel?
Thanks
regards
Herv

Wow! This thread is back after 12 years and I?m on my second RV (hopefully starting #3 before long). Mickey has it right as usual.

Back