What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans gascolator

Hi all
I started to-remove the cowls with a view to inspect the engine bay
And thought it would be a good idea to clean out the gascolator
But it proved to much of a challenge for a novice like myself I twisted
And pulled the bowl but it did not move and I was a little worried about damaging it and thought if I do eventually get it off can I successfully reseal it so I have ordered a new I ring from vans just in case
Any advice from you guys would be appreciated

The gascolator provides a great seal against the "outside" air. As such, you need to activate the fuel drain on the bottom of the canister to allow air to enter as you remove the bowl. Otherwise you are fighting a vacuum that you are creating as you try to remove the bowl.

The gascolator provides a great seal against the "outside" air. As such, you need to activate the fuel drain on the bottom of the canister to allow air to enter as you remove the bowl. Otherwise you are fighting a vacuum that you are creating as you try to remove the bowl.

What he said. I have found it's still difficult to remove and I've found those rubber disks found in the kitchen to remove caps from containers to be useful to grip the gascolator body.

Make a "T" handle out of pipe fittings and screw it into the bottom port. That handle gives you something to grab hold of to pull down.

Same as Joe said. Remove the drain fitting, then use a short piece of pipe to wiggle the bowl down and out. Works great. Having a spare O ring gasket on hand is a great idea. I managed to butcher (pinch) one putting the bowl back on.
Alex

I replaced the drain valve with one that locks open (please spare me the safety issue breast beating, I?m smart enough to check it closed after sampling). That eliminates the vacuum lock, but it?s still a bit of a chore to remove it.

Does anyone have the part number to order a RV-8 gascolator o-ring from Van's or preferably Aircraft Spruce since I'm about to send in an order?

Last edited:
lock-open gascolator drain

I bought a lock-open fitting for my gascolator drain because I had one or a couple of other airplanes and liked it. But when I tried to install it on my RV-12 there was interference which kept me from doing so. It was a while ago and I don't recall for sure what the problem was. I think there wasn't enough clearance for the side rods on the fitting to allow turning it to thread it in with the bowl in place, and I didn't want to be stuck with needing to take the bowl off to remove/install it in the future.

I bought a lock-open fitting for my gascolator drain because I had one or a couple of other airplanes and liked it. But when I tried to install it on my RV-12 there was interference which kept me from doing so. It was a while ago and I don't recall for sure what the problem was. I think there wasn't enough clearance for the side rods on the fitting to allow turning it to thread it in with the bowl in place, and I didn't want to be stuck with needing to take the bowl off to remove/install it in the future.

How do you clean the screen without taking it apart? :confused:

Not sure but educated guess
Van's GAS-3-4-5 GASKET
Aircraft Spruce 05-12242

BTW you were correct, it was that part. Apparently for the past, I don?t remember what he told me years, they?re using the same size gascolator and just changed the outside. Thanks !

Back