What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TO flap setting question

Skyhook

Well Known Member
Anyone here routinely use flaps for TO? I have tried both one notch (manual) and no-flaps and cannot see any appreciable difference. How about the rest of youse -4 flyers??

TO Flap settings

Gidday,

Try two notches of flaps.... you should find that the tail will come up faster and the forward pressure on the joystick is slightly less. You should also find that the TO roll is a bit shorter.

Regards,

Mike :)

I've only got two flap positions, none or all. I've tried both and didn't notice any appreciable difference. But then each plane is custom built. Try it and see what happens.

Flaps for TO

I have used all positions for take-off in our two RV-4's. I fly from our 1100' grass strip on our farm and use full flaps and hold a tail low attitude until lift-off. I have installed vortex generators on the wings and find that the take-off is quite a bit shorter with the tail low. I have also started take-off with no flaps and as I get to 45 MPH or so I pull on full flaps and it jumps off the ground.
Experience , rather than a set rule will ptove what you like with your plane.

Bob Olds RV-4
Charleston,Arkansas

I seem to recall (in the builders manual under flying, I think) that Van recommends 1/2 flaps for T/O only to keep the nose low for engine cooling and visibility.

I am not flying yet, and have logged nary .3 hrs in an RV 8, but I can see his logic.

:) CJ

So today I did that full-flap T.O.

Except for the over-running of the flap deployment speeds (Easily done), the results were outstanding.
I was solo, the field ( 320msl) was soft with snow melt and the lift off was almost immediate.
Thanks for that 'full flap' tip, planenutz! G'day.

Jim

Back