What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Speaking of Cooling Ducati Regulator/Rectifiers....

DHeal

Well Known Member
Speaking of cooling Ducati regulator/rectifiers (R/R) in RV-12s, I have installed a simple air tube to direct a portion of the pilot's-side air vent flow towards my in-cockpit, under-shelf mounted R/R. I used @ 3' of 3/4" flexible plastic ducting with a PVC 90 degree fitting glued to one end. The PVC fitting is temporarily affixed via a small tab to the pilot's-side cabin air vent (note that the fitting can be easily removed and the air vent totally closed for cold-weather operations -- when R/R cooling is somewhat less of an issue). The plastic hose is then routed under the avionics shelf so as to blow cooling air onto the R/R. This works well for me -- hopefully the increased air flow will help to prolong the operational life of the beleaguered R/R (I've now got some 350+ hours on my in-cockpit, under-shelf mounted R/R -- Yeah!).

ps -- An unfortunate side effect of my cooling tube design was its abhorrent tonality. You know those obnoxious droning plastic horns used at international soccer games? Well, my cooling tube did the same thing until I modified its flow by stuffing a small piece of porous Scotchbrite pad in the fitting end. Alternatively, the obnoxious noise could be used as some form of tonal speed control -- its pitch varied with airspeed -- like an acoustic stall warner!

pps -- It's drizzling here in Northern CA and the mind wanders.....

Back