What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Tires

todehnal

Well Known Member
It's time to replace the tires on the mains of my RV-12. In going back through all of the forum comments that I could find, it looks like a good choice might be Desser retreads. I see that every post regarding these talks about using the 6 ply tires. Why? With such a light aircraft, I would think that 4 ply would be more than adequate.

Comments please..........Tom

Heres the Email

Free Aero Classic Tube

For a limited time only get a FREE Aero Classic Tube with every purchase of tire. Website orders only, applicable to select sizes noted below.
Free Shipping on purchases over $100
Valid : November 24-27, 2016

Free Shipping within 48 continental US States !!!

Applicable tire sizes:
15/600-6 6 PLY, 650-10 10 PLY, 800-6 4 PLY, 500-5 10 PLY, 650-10 6 PLY, 800-6 6 PLY, 500-5 4 PLY, 650-10 8 PLY, 500-5 6 PLY, 650-8 8 PLY, 600-6 4 PLY, 700-6 6 PLY, 600-6 6 PLY, 700-6 8 PLY, 600-6 8 PLY, 700-8 6 PLY

Tire sale

I called as well. It's goes into effect after midnight. You have to place the order online and once the tires are in the cart it will update with tubes and free shipping. Not a bad deal at all if your planning on replacing tires this year!

I just ordered three! I now have almost 30 minutes taxi time on my original set, not sure how much longer they will last:D
With a deal like this how can one go wrong!

If you order the tires, the invoice will automatically include a free tube for each tire ordered prior to paying for them.

How do I get the special

I called yesterday and confirmed the free tubes special, starting today. When I add tires to my cart, the free tubes don't show up, and I can't figure out how to get the special.

Any suggestions?

Edit: as said above, you have to enter your address in checkout before they appear. Works for me now.

Last edited:
Invoice should look like this. I just ordered this morning...
-
21cunu8.png

So fellers, what's the consensus, are you ordering 4 or 6 ply on the retreads? It seems that the 4 ply would be sufficient and a bit lighter ? Looks like a great deal. Vlad is going to have a lot of spares.

So fellers, what's the consensus, are you ordering 4 or 6 ply on the retreads?

My order three posts up ^ ... 6 PLY AWBS RETREAD,ELITE PREMIUM 2 GROOVE. New bologna's at 204TT for my RV-12.

Last edited:
I went for the 6 ply jobs. I figure that while learning to fly again I will probably punish my tires more than normal.

Follow-up to my post #17 above...

I now have over 40 hours on the new tires with lots of T.O./landings on both grass and hard surface. So far I'm very pleased with handing, balance, and wear.
-
bg6vee.png

Tires

Another option is the retreads from Wilkerson tires. I ordered some a while back for my RV-4and they were $100 a pair shipped. They do not include tubes though. I used them about 2 years now and just flipped the tires on the rims so hopefully get another year at least. Have another new set sitting in the hangar.

http://www.wilkersonaircrafttires.com/index.html

Back