What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Performance Numbers

Tandem46

Well Known Member
We all know how fast these wonderful machines can go, but they make wonderful slow speeders too, at least with regards to fuel burn. Today, while putting around the area in my RV-7 equipped with an IO-360 with LSE and one mag, I pulled the throttle back to 15-16 inches, prop at 2400rpm, and leaned to the lean side of peak (LOP) at 4500'. I was indicating 120kts, my Dynon was giving me a true airspeed of 130kts, and my fuel burn was barely 5.5gph. Pretty amazing.

Last edited:
cool!

Sounds great - that's the kind of stuff I'm looking forward to as well. If I'm only flying local there's no need to burn more gas than necessary. And you're still getting there faster than if you were in a rented 172.

What kind of prop do you have?

Scott,
I'm flying with a Whirlwind 200RV. Not sure about the performance gain or lack there of. It's definitely light though, about 20lbs lighter than Hartzell. That could actually be bad CG wise, depending on your setup. It's fine on my setup, and some have told me that it's smooth, who knows.

Tobin

Back