What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another "Greatest Generation" gone

RV3Bob

My dad passed last week. Age 93

Career Naval aviator, Naval intel Wash DC, Taught Naval intel Monterey post grad school, was able to fly his entire Naval career

Raised two sixties sons. Im sure that was fun

Married 60 plus years to the love of his life. Took solo care of her the last two years of her life (Alz/dementia) Never complained

We were close. The best times were flying across the country to Oshkosh five times in my 172 and a Mooney. He loved OSH. He would chase down the pins of the aircraft he flew in the Navy to put on his hat. He found all seven.

1. N2S basic. In winter in Chicago.
2. SNJ for Carrier qual on the great lakes fleet
3. SB2C thought it lethargic
4. SBD said it stayed in target better than any dive bomber
5. AD Skyraider for combat bombing in Korea. Also keeping the Chinese from getting to the top of the hill where 50 to 100 Marines were fighting hand to hand.
He said the Able Dog would take a beating and get you back to the boat.
6. S2F looking for Soviet subs off the Russian coast during the cold war
7. SNB The career officers airplane

When I gave him an altitude and heading to fly I kept tapping the gauges because I thought they were stuck. Never off course or Altitude.

Hubert Caval Grigsby Jan 13 1926. June 13 2019
Naval Aviator, husband, father
One of the greatest generation

I will be putting that on the wall at Oshkosh

My RV3 is painted in tribute Skyraider color and logos

Bob Grigsby
J3 C65 flying at pattern altitude everywhere
RV-3B close. I keep saying that

Fair Winds, and Following Seas

Mr. Grigsby:

"SNJ for Carrier qual on the great lakes fleet."
Bravo Zulu, sir.

"AD Skyraider for combat bombing in Korea. Also keeping the Chinese from getting to the top of the hill where 50 to 100 Marines were fighting hand to hand."
From Marines and families he never met- thank you.

Wonderful tribute from a loving son. Nothing is more valuable to a dad.
RIP sir, job well done.

Everyday we lose great Americans and it's obvious that your father was one of them. Very sorry for your (and our) loss! Your dad obviously set a great example of what it meant to be a real man and American!

Wonderful memories

Thank you for sharing your grief with us. No doubt he loved his country, the Navy, aviation and his family. Cherish the many memories you have of him, for they will sustain you in the days ahead. You are blessed to have them.

Very sorry! I know what you're going through. He was born the same year as my dad. I lost him 5 years ago. He was in the Army in WWII. Truly the greatest generation!!

Sorry for your loss... no doubt the greatest generation. After watching Saving Private Ryan on D-Day for the umpteenth time I told my wife, "can you imagine the 15-17 year old kids of today doing that?" Not a chance...

Our condolences on your loss. He sounds like a heck of a good man. Guys like that are pretty special when they touch your life. And to think, he touched your whole life. That's a blessing.

Ben

What a great tribute to the greatest generation of heroes! He and You represent what is truly right and honorable about our Nation! God bless you and your family.

+Don Hull

Can't say it more heartfelt than that. I can tell by your post that your Dad knew he was loved, really can't ask for more than that. RIP

Back