What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Governor cable & adjustments

rvdave

Well Known Member
Had my rv10 airworthiness inspection today one of the things he said I need to change is reaching both limits on the governor stops. After playing with the cable adjustment lengths, positions I can?t get both limits. It?s either adjust for min or max but not both. McCauley governor with rotating inner plate for clocking. There is an inner hole in the arm which would resolve the throw issue and make shorter travel but the rod end won?t allow that hole to be used. Am I missing something?

I had the McCauley governor and had no issues getting full travel. My control cables came from AS&S so maybe different than what Van's supplies? I used the per plans mounting location coming up through the bottom of the inlet ramp. Attached to the outside hole. Did you build the plane? The builder should have made sure the governor was set up correctly with full travel before first flight.
39115779642_5823e3fd86.jpg
[/url]DSC01568 by David C, on Flickr[/IMG]

Yes I?m the builder and thought I had full travel, apparently not. Per plans but I may be overlooking a way to adjust, looking for possible insight.

OK. Can you adjust the rod end any more to give you a little more throw? I found that when I adjusted the stop for about 2680 rpm fine pitch on static run-up WOT, it gave me gave me 2700 WOT at level flight WOT. Its been a while but think I used this cable from AS&S: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/ap/controls_00propeller/a7903.php It has a 3-3/8" travel length. I had no trouble adjusting the full "IN" fine pitch setting and having the knob 1/8" out from full forward. I know when I was shopping, I found different cables/manufactures varied in travel lengths. I ordered my control cables using AS&S measuring instructions to a custom length and had them in hand in a couple weeks. I did not order from Van's the recommended cables because my installation was a little different, IO-V4A5 engine, and I read on the forum that Van's cable lengths leave no margin for error with several complaints that they found them too short.

Last edited:
When the governor is set halfway between min and max RPM, does the governor arm and the control cable make a 90 deg angle? That is the worst position for maximizing arm motion. Try re-clocking the governor arm so it makes close to a 90 deg angle with the cable at 2700 rpm.

Thanks for the replies, after trying recommendations have concluded the cable travel just isn?t enough so just ordered a longer throw cable.

Throw

Hello. I am about to order cables myself for the same governor. What throw are you getting with the new cable.

thanks

Back