What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv14 canopy rails

67Qkx7YFYYM
Anyone out there with info on how to fix a canopy rail that doesn’t match up with the canopy deck profile. Section 38-11 and 38-12 followed it to the letter . Right side came out ok, left side fwd end is inbd 1/8-3/16/“..... thinkin bout taking it apart and trying again...

Last edited:
Yeah, pics would help. The C01442A,B,C fixtures set the widths all along the canopy frame. These widths should match the fuselage side rails so it's hard to visualize why they don't align.

So today I spoke with Kevin and also Sterling Re this issue. They both seemed to agree with my proposal. So I took the assembly apart verified the C-01407R precisely matches the canopy deck. I verified that the C-01409R rail angle lays flat and is properly fluted. I checked that the C-01427R rail flange outboard edge matches the contour of the canopy deck. I re-riveted the assembly and the results were exactly the same as the first time. The forward end of the rail assembly skews inboard about 3/16?. The problem is that if it is corrected at the fwd end the middle bows out past the edge of the deck. Therefore when the assembly is installed to the forward frame assembly the middle area of the rail will net the same result with a slight overhang at the middle of the deck. I didnt have this problem on the left side. Is it possible that I got a bad part?

A couple of thoughts comes to mind. First, lets double check to see if this curvature issue is on the rail and not the fuse/longerons. Perhaps if possible to trace the left side on a stiff paper/card board, cut it and flip it for the right side to see if how it matches. If it matches, perhaps if you can work on the C-01407 and C-01409 fluting to compensate for the difference? Also keep in mind that there will be a skin on that rail so as it is now in the video, the skin will stick out a bit.

I am doing the rails this evening. I mocked up the side rails with the aft canopy frame and lock pins in place. Initially I had the same issue....1/8? on the copilot side and 1/16 on the pilot side. I did-assembled the side rails and re-did step 38-12 Step 6 except I was a bit more aggressive. I am now good within 1/32 or less.

I am doing the rails this evening. I mocked up the side rails with the aft canopy frame and lock pins in place. Initially I had the same issue....1/8? on the copilot side and 1/16 on the pilot side. I dis-assembled the side rails and re-did step 38-12 Step 6 except I was a bit more aggressive. I am now good within 1/32 or less.

Back