What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AN-509-10R25 Aileron attach screw

Bart

Well Known Member
Just curious how other builders have attacked the number 10 screw attaching to the aileron control linkage. Its a countersunk screw yet my QB aileron does not have a countersunk hole and I see no directions for countersinking the bracket it goes through. The clearance seems fine for the flap although the screw is tight going in but leaves about an 1/8 inch of the screw head out without the countersink. When I look at it I would think an AN-3 bolt would actually do better here.

I have seen other builder sites that apparently just leaves the countersunk screw into the non-countersunk bracket hole. Is this the consensus? Have others just used an AN-3 bolt? For the ones who used the number 10 screw was is tight going into the nut plate as far as you could get it with it being countersunk? For the builders that decided to countersink the bracket did you think the bracket was too think for a countersink?

Hope this makes sense...I have built a -10 and find the -14 plans to be somewhat lacking in areas. Mildly frustrating.

Page 22-03 Fig 2?
jx4VsVEI-m2L-haH7DWVCKJdqcmdPkmV5CvyuBtJLhKPL7KKjbTdHQoEwkmuH1h1W6dZAvqW-aKo640LyFfQpWYN2FEF7jRyUDxCFKgtgtIBHMV9-EsNtYtixsRdXS3a2sqG86iKgYglkgWGKstB3DNBHe1WNwORQmh_IoZXAXAKck22AmLnoNeM3d2LeSeymqfvQhr7QNLz8MoHIjKktjVuNlwyuq1tloFqwN79-psXjhjjmCXrkVF_OghLXqGUinL52Cg-0e-QiGNePq2oHgzP1nPJVjfsbBX47TkVLBKW2tVRanXy4PWctrElWjwM_jrfjUpzZ6zvq7Z8Wi4IiO09tRbxuRwUNXyn6paWkHViPie-iHaDcnKRnebry_6cOWL41SgCNIUKRvpEsoTI9vGgDd_Nqmmf9gqIpCOzM6INqBKYeVFkJH2gUJw0O8hoZq-oIeLkM8gvlnP5IDN8Priou-f_yygUlerEyyEU5AVzQ4XkeajKhKuQznkbeAolvWJsctYUn64Nu8vTTc42Nn2z1O0aMigrUSB6w-x0iizYFqzfA_E1TeLUhZG-X859AVKldZ7rjA8yLNH83Pf59hOzqAw3WnaZ5vFapqhYVjH4tyRNxtudt5a-p2ekd_C4TaLS4Kii3b1gxvx86rCTUuR-EU3KlWqYKTwV56AejhN_fqsbwByGLK_C4ZgWGvmQkKQLi-dVJtuklin-_7488F68e0ry_to4TcUPaYiD9EiCfOrm_wnrUU4=w620-h1102-no

22-03 step 4 Countersink

I think the step you are referring to is pg 22-03 step 4. Mine was not a Q/B so I countersunk earlier. The part has a doubler behind so see no issues with the C/S. It fit up fine when assembled.
I would C/S and use the AN509 screw. Wouldn't want to take a chance on rubbing later when things wear a bit or after paint or some other minor change.

Just did this yesterday

My QB Wasn?t countersunk. No problem. Just countersink and move on.

Its a QB issue

Thanks folks...I decided to review the slow build and found my QB did not have the appropriate countersink. Got it now and things went right in as advertised.

Back