What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Problem with the elevator trim travel

Mark Browning

Hi everyone

Just wondered if anyone could offer a solution as to why the elevator push rod doesn't seem long enough ?

I hooked up the servo to the elevator trim tab. With the trim set in the neural position and the servo on mid travel the push rod is too short ?

i have to run run the servo motor almost fully out so the clevis pin fits
elevator2_zpstg16exzt.jpg

elevator1_zpspkudksbp.jpg

Any help would be appreciated :)

Last edited:
Correct. Mid position on the trim servo does not translate to the trim tab in neutral. The set up is designed to provide much more nose up trim than down. But if memory serves there was replacement connecting link so check on that.

Carl

The trim tab travel is greater in one direction than the other. I?m pretty sure you will be fine. :rolleyes:

Looks about right but can't quite tell from your pic. The travel is supposed to be very asymmetric. Mid travel will not be close to neutral.

Not sure of your kit number, but if it's an early kit, be sure you have the updated arm.

Last edited:
Correct. Mid position on the trim servo does not translate to the trim tab in neutral. The set up is designed to provide much more nose up trim than down. But if memory serves there was replacement connecting link so check on that.

Carl

Thanks Carl
Just noticed the tab travel limits are 13 degrees up and 35 Down so need to check that with the digital level

Looks about right but can't quite tell from your pic. The travel is supposed to be very asymmetric. Mid travel will not be close to neutral.

Not sure of your kit number, but if it's an early kit, be sure you have the updated arm.

The kit is Feb 2016, do you know when the date range of the updated arm
Thanks

My kit was from 2013. I discovered a problem with the arm travel in early 2014. When I called Vans they said "Ya, we're working on it.'' so I wasn't the first to spot it.

A new arm came in the mail shortly after. Way before 2016.

My kit was from 2013. I discovered a problem with the arm travel in early 2014. When I called Vans they said "Ya, we're working on it.'' so I wasn't the first to spot it.

A new arm came in the mail shortly after. Way before 2016.

Hello Bob

Checking the min and max deflection on the trim i'm a little short in minimum up degrees... vans give "minimum up of 11, i have 8.5
I have checked the plans and the push rod length and piano hinge distances are correct.

I would be interested to see what measurements you guys have with max up defection when measuring with a ruler ? i have 11/16th

Back