What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 static port

jask

Well Known Member
I recently purchased a project with a QB fuselage and noticed there were no static ports installed. Vans parts list two items.

Static kit for all models
Part Number = STATIC-KIT
Price = $19.00

STATIC PORT KIT
Part Number = STATIC PORT KIT
Price = $30.00

I called this morning to see which one I needed. The first item is the entire static port kit with standard aluminum rivets and hose. The second item is a newer pair of machined ports but no tubing or tee. They suggested purchasing both kits.

Has anyone installed the newer ports? Over the weekend, I got a couple of 8 x 32 stainless screws and milled the head down and center drilled them. 1/4 in tubing fits snugly on the screws and I could fashion a tee out of a small block of threaded aluminum and center drill 8 x 32 studs as someone mentioned in another thread. All I could find were phillips head screws so I will need to make them over using straight slot screws. 1/16 looked a little small for the hole. How large can the ports be?

Also, how much of the head would need to remain above the skin to get a proper reading Is .020 about right?

has anyone made their own static ports in this manner? I could make the entire kit and buy the tubing for about $3. Thanks, Jim

Last edited:
While I don?t have much knowledge on this topic, I like what your trying to do in the builder spirit. The static system is something you?ll rely heavily on though so glad your doing your homework. ,one sits flush and reads a bit high IMO since my plane stalls at 60 seems others stall at lower speeds indicated. Just make sure what you do is robust.

Hope someone has better input for you

This static port is a bit of a mystery as to how it works and why some don't. If you want to save some headaches in phase I, I would suggest making this item by the book, at least the external shape. Many have tried and many have failed. There is nothing be be gained by changing this design aspect of the airplane. Just my opinion, as you will have enough phase one tweaking without adding this one.

Having said that, if airspeed accuracy is not important, (no IFR or bragging rights) then you could leave it off completely. Lighter too.

Static

There is lots of info on the site regarding static port issues with non Vans rivet style ports.

I purchased a 7 which had been started and came with nice looking machined ports from ACS, which I installed during my build. Like so many other's I experienced very inaccurate airspeed readings, even though the ports were proud of the skin as required. I ended up cutting the ports flush and drilling them out for the Vans rivet which then gave me the FPT hose connections inside and the Vans rivet head outside. This resolved my airspeed issues.

The main issue people seem to have with the $19 kit is the connection to the tubing inside. The rivet offers only a very short connection point for the tubing. PRC is then used to ensure a good seal that won't work loose. The other kit is the newer one using a barbed fitting with a good connection point for the tubing and a nut on the inside for simple installation.

My recommendation is to use the newer style Vans fittings in the Vans location for an accurate trouble free system.
Al

Steinair

I used the static air kit from Steinair, easy to install and has the push to seal connectors. The tubing fit perfectly in the plastic hole bushings through the bulkheads. Has worked flawlessly for 10 years. I used the same for the pitot and AoA fittings from the wings.
Figs

stienair

I looked up the steinair static ports and it is the exact set of two ports that Vans is now selling for $30. For the $19, Vans also still sells the pop rivet, hose and plastic tee. I don't see that any clamps come with the kit. Is that correct? What have builders used for clamps? How about a fuel hose type spring clamp?

Steinair has the same photo with this description. "Designed to accept Nylon, Polypropylene and other common ?? OD X .170 ID tubing, no additional fittings or riveting are required for installation. Built of 6061-T6 aluminum and clear anodized, complete with installation hardware and instructions. Static port profile, shape and size are identical to Van?s aircraft approved pop rivet port."

It looks to be the way I will go. I still have over a month of wait for the finishing kit and I need to make access back into the fuselage to install the ports. I read suggestions of laying plywood over the bulkheads but will that be sufficient to support my weight of 230lbs? I have the fuselage supported by the crating pieces inserted in the wing spar holes and a pillow padded support at the tail. Do I need anything extra to get back to install the ports?

I looks like the modified stainless screw would work if you duplicated the head of the Vans rivet. Have there been any known failures of the plastic tee that Vans supplies and are clamps being installed? Jim

Back