What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Andy Karmy

Congrats and Good Luck with phase 1

Congratulations! It's been a pleasure keeping up with your build. Good luck with phase one!

I'm curious about your AOA display on the glare shield. Is that from Dynon or is it something you have adapted?

I would like to do this on mine...

I'm curious about your AOA display on the glare shield. Is that from Dynon or is it something you have adapted?

I would like to do this on mine...

that's the Advanced Flight AOA Pro. It's completely separate from the Dynon with it's own brain box and Tee off of the pitot and AOA ports.

I WISH Dynon would make a simple display like that you could drive from the Skyview, but alas no.

I am so impressed Andy! You are a true inspiration. And "No discrepancies"!! BTW in your first flight video, you look extremely comfortable. Extremely Well done!

Wow! You nailed the DAR inspection and had a blessedly uneventful first flight. Congrats! Thanks for all the detailed FWF shots?they really help us builders who are not there yet.

I am so impressed Andy! You are a true inspiration. And "No discrepancies"!! BTW in your first flight video, you look extremely comfortable. Extremely Well done!

The part where I really felt like a pro was at lift off when I kept saying to myself look for 110kts to keep the cooling air flowing through the engine. I saw 100, good almost there, then I saw 200, 300, wait that's not airspeed, that's altitude! Airspeed was at 80kts, hum, push the nose down and figure out this dynon screen ASAP! :)

The second flight was much more comfortable.

The part where I really felt like a pro was at lift off when I kept saying to myself look for 110kts to keep the cooling air flowing through the engine. I saw 100, good almost there, then I saw 200, 300, wait that's not airspeed, that's altitude! Airspeed was at 80kts, hum, push the nose down and figure out this dynon screen ASAP! :)

The second flight was much more comfortable.

I can see myself making that mistake, coming out of a trainer with steam gauges and going (primarily) glass panel with my -9A. Flying can be humbling!

I used the Dynon "six pack" view on the display for my first couple of flights, then have since made the (easy) transition to the more traditional EFIS view.

Andy -0Congrats on a clean inspection, beautiful airplane and an awesome first flight. You're an inspiration to those of us that are still pounding.

Dale

Congrats, Andy! As an early builder, you were my inspiration building my -9. Now, I'm even more impressed with how fast and well you built your -8. It seems to have flown together!:) Good job.

Congrats, Andy! As an early builder, you were my inspiration building my -9. Now, I'm even more impressed with how fast and well you built your -8. It seems to have flown together!:) Good job.

Thanks Steve! We still need to get together sometime. I know I said that when I had the 9A but it's still true. Once my time is flown off I'll head over the mountains to visit!

Im brand new here and this is my first post. I know very little as of the moment but i simply wanted to say that i enjoyed reading your build thread immensely and would like to congratulate you on an amazing airplane. The RV8 is what I'm leaning towards :)

Congrats my friend, fly safe and looking forward to pics of the final paint job

Im brand new here and this is my first post. I know very little as of the moment but i simply wanted to say that i enjoyed reading your build thread immensely and would like to congratulate you on an amazing airplane. The RV8 is what I'm leaning towards :)

Congrats my friend, fly safe and looking forward to pics of the final paint job

Thanks! And welcome to VAF!

Still pondering the paint scheme... Stay tuned in a few months.

And you can't go wrong with the RV-8!!!!!!!

Welcome to VAF Robert. Lots of information here and help is available.

Rv8 builder
Bird

Thanks very much everyone. What i think I'm really looking for at the moment is someone i can help and learn a little from.

Anyone need any free labor in the Denver area? :D
I am going to go take the EAA sheet metal class just for good measure and build the toolbox and wing section before i commit to the kit

If you guys know anyone in the Denver community that would like a bucking buddy please send them my way

I have greatly enjoyed watching these magnificent builds go together. Thanks for displaying your work of arts for the community and new people like me to watch and maybe drool a little here and there

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nb2nDg said:
13896925005_323b1bbfdd_b.jpg
[/url]Panel fired up for the first time by akarmy, on Flickr

Hey Andy,
I really enjoyed reading your build and love the looks of the 8. I couldn't help notice pics of mini Max in your shop. That one pic of the blue/white prototype could be my dad as he worked for TEAM and Wayne Ison for a number of years. We built a Max before he passed and it was a lot of fun.
Aviation is a small world. Keep up the good work. Maybe we will cross paths one day.

USB mount

Yo, Andy,
I'm searching for a panel mount for the Dynon USB pig-tail that came with my system. I've heard that it's probably a common thing to do a download of data after each flight, especially during the fly-off, so I'm thinking that a panel-mount might be the way to go.
Where'd you get yours?
Would you do it again?
Thanks...

Last edited:
Hey Andy,
I really enjoyed reading your build and love the looks of the 8. I couldn't help notice pics of mini Max in your shop. That one pic of the blue/white prototype could be my dad as he worked for TEAM and Wayne Ison for a number of years. We built a Max before he passed and it was a lot of fun.
Aviation is a small world. Keep up the good work. Maybe we will cross paths one day.

That's fantastic. I loved flying the miniMAX! That was my first test of experimental aviation to see if I could complete a project.... 4 planes later, guess I know the answer now.

Such a small world for sure!

Yo, Andy,
I'm searching for a panel mount for the Dynon USB pig-tail that came with my system. I've heard that it's probably a common thing to do a download of data after each flight, especially during the fly-off, so I'm thinking that a panel-mount might be the way to go.
Where'd you get yours?
Would you do it again?
Thanks...

I got it from SteinAir. It mounts from the rear of the panel with two screws. Yes I would do it again. It's very convenient to do DB upgrades from the panel and downloading skyview data after flights. I don't leave a stick in there, but just plug it in when needed. Since it has a pigtail connected I just ran it to a spare USB on the back of the skyview. I zip tied up the other cable and have not used it (the one that is on the skyview cable harness).

http://www.steinair.com/storedetail.cfm?productid=11

USBCABLE3%20L%20CLEAR.jpg

Back