What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

digital level recommendation?

Iluke

Well Known Member
I'm looking for recommendations for a good digital level. I already have one of a cheap consumer-grade but it isn't really consistent and I don't trust it for tasks like setting my wing incidence. My cheapo version looks cool but I find that it is actually not much more accurate than my banged-up carpenter's levels.

I see on some sites people using a "Smart tool" brand level, and it looks good. Is it worth the $100 they go for? I'm willing to spend a few bucks to get something accurate and reliable but I'd rather not buy more tool than I need.

Any recommendations?

r/
Ivan

Just remember that one can make an accurate measurement with a "bad" or unknown quality level by flipping the level left to right and observing the difference in bubble or number readout. Adjust the measured item until the "error" is mirror imaged and the measured item will be dead on horizontal.

I compared several bubble levels against digital levels (Craftsman included) and found that the iPhone gave me the best repeatable readings. I borrowed a machinist level from work and the iPhone's internal level if very good. I use an APP called "Clinometer". Gives readings to the 0.1 degree. Make sure you use the side of the phone without buttons. If I need to span a large area I place it on the back side of a straight edge(another level).

For leveling an airplane when it is critical, I find that my good old (but quality) carpenter's bubble level gives me excellent results. I have a Sears Digital level, which is good - but the batteries aren't always handy.

More often than not when I am in the shop now, and need to measure angles, I too use the iPhone. Flipping it aroudn to check both directions will give you a good idea of its accuracy. I am usually measuring differential angles rather than actually leveling somethign, and it works great for that.

The Sears digital is in a drawer somewhere. Probably without batteries..... ;)

Paul

I have an Empire one. It has a bit better resolution than the others, .05 deg., but that's only near level and 90 degrees.

My first one failed. They replaced it quickly - good service there.

Update November 2016:
One curious thing that I need to address is that my digital level has decided that the world is about 3 1/2 degrees out of kilter. Well, it's no doubt correct that things are out of kilter, but none of the bubble levels agree with that assessment. I'm inclined to rely on both my own sense of things and the combined opinion of all my bubble levels, without exception. Let's say that the judges have voted and the digital level is off the project.

Update March 2019:
I replaced that one with a SmartTool, and bought the 2' one and the smaller one. Both work extremely well and read the same at the same spot. They came with a calibration procedure. The smaller one is for those places where the longer one just wont fit.

Dave

Last edited:
I have the Smart tool and a Husky brand from Home depot, The Smart tool seems outdated and over priced to me, I like the cheaper home depot model

Stanley Fat Max

I have several levels (apps) on my iPhone but only the Stanley among the free ones that I've found has the ability to be properly calibrated in the same way as my dedicated level. That is, you rotate it 360 degrees per the instructions in the app.

Yes, turning it around and comparing the readings is a good idea, but I'd prefer self-calibration as a first step.

Some of the others have a strange idea about calibrating which is essentially setting it to zero on whatever surface it rests. That's just wrong.

I have not found anything better and I do think that 1/10 degree is more accurate than a physical bubble. But looking at both won't hurt. At least the phone is always present and reasonably charged.

There might be better ones that are "paid" but I'm too cheap to find out.

The Egyptians knew how

When I had an addition built on my house the builder was doing the basic foundation and framing and used a very expensive, fancy digital/optical level. He got it about 1/4" wrong over about 30'. I spotted it (too late) just by standing back and looking at it.

A clear hose with water in it will very accurately tell you if something is level. Very low tech. I've been told and am inclined to believe, up to a point, that the ancient Egyptians used that (without a clear hose, I'm sure) for the pyramids. And they had to bring the water to the site. I've seen them and I can assure you that there's no running water near them.

I suppose you could use it to calibrate a more convenient device.

If you want the best you could go with a Stabila, they are German made and guaranteed for life. I don't have experience with there digital levels but if they are anything like there bubble levels, they are the one to have.

I compared several bubble levels against digital levels (Craftsman included) and found that the iPhone gave me the best repeatable readings. I borrowed a machinist level from work and the iPhone's internal level if very good. I use an APP called "Clinometer". Gives readings to the 0.1 degree. Make sure you use the side of the phone without buttons. If I need to span a large area I place it on the back side of a straight edge(another level).

Wow. An iPhone. I had not even considered using my phone. Thanks for the tip!

snip>>
I have not found anything better and I do think that 1/10 degree is more accurate than a physical bubble. But looking at both won't hurt. At least the phone is always present and reasonably charged.

There might be better ones that are "paid" but I'm too cheap to find out.

A decent machinist bubble level is good to 0.02 degrees.
I'm fitting my -8 landing gear and found my digital level is 0.6 degrees off from one direction to the other (using the flip test). That is HUGE!
My ancient Starrett machinist level is dead on.

Will see if I can adjust the digital module in the frame, but man, the trust is gone on that tool! (and it eats batteries)

Back