What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EMP page 08-09 Rivet size?

Hello all - First thanks for everyone who posts questions and answers. You have no idea how much this has helped me in my steep learning curve of the project.

Step 2 on page 08-09 calls for rivets specified in figure 1 for the stringer web to the stringers. The only rivets in the plans are specified for the web to the rib and TYP -however both are thinner pieces of material. It seems to me that this should be a 470AD4-5 longer rivet going into the HA-00914 stringers.

Misprint? or am I wrong?

Thanks!!!

You might consider getting a rivet length gauge.

1201534.jpg

Sometimes the plans call for a shorter rivet when the half size isn't necessarily available. So if a AN470AD4-4.5 isn't available, it might call for a 4-4. Though there are sources available for the 4-x.5 size rivets, if you have a rivet cutter, you can make your own half-size rivets.
31wSJNFX8wL.jpg

This is something I did on the inspar rib-to-cap rivets.

4-5 rivet too short...
IMG_5323.JPG

4-6 rivet too long...
IMG_5324.JPG

4-5.5 is a better length...
IMG_5322.JPG

Step 2 on page 08-09 calls for rivets specified in figure 1 for the stringer web to the stringers. The only rivets in the plans are specified for the web to the rib and TYP -however both are thinner pieces of material. It seems to me that this should be a 470AD4-5 longer rivet going into the HA-00914 stringers.

Misprint? or am I wrong?

It's always a good idea to use a rivet gauge to select proper rivet length. I found the plans call-outs to be almost always correct, but there were a few places where the lengths called out were marginal so I deviated to next longer size. Keep in mind there is some manufacturer variability too, as shown in some photos here on the forums. Also, in my emp kit a few of the bags had stickers mixed up so I ended up without one of the lengths--rivet cutter came in handy more than once.

In this particular location the web is so thin it puckers up after riveting--rivet strength won't be limiting by far. Make sure manufactured head is snug and on the web side.

Back