What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 anyone flying with Lycoming IO-540 engine?

docnorris

I'm New Here
Hello,
I know there have been several threads about the idea of installing Lycoming IO-540 engine to the RV-14 model.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/archive/index.php?t-98748.html

Still I have not found anyone reporting to have done so. Why is that so important to me?

Because I am searching a KitPlane for myself which allows higher cruising speeds like 250mph, finally I allways end up with Glasair III. But I would like to combine the comfort of the RV-14 and the pre-built advantages of that model with more speed like Glasair 3.

So please consider the following questions:

1.) Is the RV-14 stable enough to handle Cruise Speed of 260mph (considering that Glasair 3 is made of fiber glass that should not be a problem for aluminum RV-14?)

2.) Is it somehow possible to use IO-540 in the RV-14 Kit

3.) Has actually anybody done it and what are the experiences in terms of Speed, stability etc...?

Thank you very much.

Sebastian

Turbocharged IO-390 would be way easier and less expensive way to get those speeds. You'd want to do some flutter testing and structural analysis first though to see how feasible it is.

Yes it might be a solution using Turbo BUT I think the real problem is VNE 200kts!
Vans Aircraft specifically informed about not exceeding this speed because of structural damage, fluttering and decomposition of the aircraft.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/hp_limts.pdf

Nevertheless I heard that the RV14 was developed with IO-540 engine in its prototype.

Does anyone have the V-N Diagram of the RV-14?

Did anyone actually use a turbo- engine or larger engine in his RV?

Thanks,

Sebastian

Rockets are based on RVs with thicker skins and strengthening in other places. Bill Beaton's supercharged one did some 282 mph laps at Reno, so something close to 300 on the straights, pulling G and in rough air.

Doubtless you could do something similar on an RV14 with a proper testing program but it would be foolish to do this project without that testing in place.

There are several turbocharged RVs and they will all exceed the factory Vne in level flight at medium altitudes. You just have to make sure it's safe and that's going to involve some time and expense to verify.

Back