What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cold weather prep - any suggestions ?

IFly2Low

I'm New Here
Getting pretty cold up here in Quebec...:eek: It's gona be my first winter flying the 6 and I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions as far as preping the aircraft for winter flying?

Any engine setup or tuning needed?
Particular things to check?

I'd like you guys to share you engine pre-heating ideas... the best I've found so far is the 24/7 100w bulb inside the enclosure which aparently work like a charm and is very economical...

Couple ideas

This will be my first winter with a -7 as well. So far I installed an EZ Heet (had same on pervious 2 certifieds) and tuck a small car warmer between the exhaust pipes. 300W and 900W respectively and in 2 hrs last weekend at -3C the oil temp was 100F with warm to the touch cylinder heads at start up.

As this is a lot of power, I have a GSM-auto switch to "call ahead" to warm.

Oil cooler is mounted on left baffle and have a winter plate to go in the front to cut the area to about 40%.

I have a slider canopy that I did a couple things with to seal up (no draft on the neck), but we will have to see how the rest goes as it really gets cold.

Reiff pre-heat.

Google Reiff pre-heat and for $200 + you can install the two credit-card sized sump heaters with the supplied glue and be set to go.

I have a timer and set it to midnight and by 8:00 a.m., the oil is at 80 F in a 30 degree morning.

Best,

Any of you guys modify to the cowling opening, or the baffles? I'm just concerned about the engine temperature if I fly during the winter... again, I'm in Quebec...

I won't go and fly on a -30 degree celius day... but in temperatures between -15 and 0 degrees celcius... I'll fly often... Any mods or things I should do to keep and engine from running cold?

I ordered an E-Z Heat system for my O-360 along with a remote control switch which work over cel phone signal... if any of you have any experience with the E-Z heat pads, I'd like to hear what you think!

Thx

Last edited:
I have one of the stick on oil pan heaters and found it to be a poor heater. Much better is a little home made heater consisting of a small cube shape space heater, a reducing duct riveted to the front of that heater, and flexible heater duct hose directed up into the cowling. I set a timer and the motor starts as if the ambient temp is 80 degrees.

For me, I have found heated glove liners marketed to motorcycle riders such as these:
http://www.warmnsafe.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=279

Any of you blocking a part of the cooling system to get better temperature when flying in cold weather?

Any of you blocking a part of the cooling system to get better temperature when flying in cold weather?

I do. I have very efficient cooling I would say it's too efficient. Bigger cooler and plenum. Oil was always at the beginning of green arc.

I started from this

a9ff4d33.jpg

And ended with this. Two thirds blocked. I may add 1" more after Xmas.

207cb92b.jpg

Now oil temp is in comfort green zone.

Last edited:
I do. I have very efficient cooling I would say it's too efficient. Bigger cooler and plenum. Oil was always at the beginning of green arc.

I started from this
Now oil temp is in comfort green zone.

You might want to look into the Van's oil cooler slider. It's worked very well in my 6, as well as a friends 9. Both summer and winter. It just beats pulling the cowl off, which I used to do, to.

L.Adamson

I installed the Reiff preheater system in my 6A...bands around the jugs, two oilpan heaters, and the oil cooler warmer. Gets it good and warm - even on the 17F mornings that we've had here in DE. I didn't do anything to block off my oil cooler - it runs about 150-165 in the winter. I have Van's oil cooler shutter plate - but am still thinking about it.
Ralph

If your oil cooler is on the fire wall, get the non stop aviation control. If you don't, close off the cooler with high temp tape. My understanding is the van's control does not completely shut off the air flow. On really cold days you will want it completely closed off. It is a bit off a balancing act to find the the right amount so you you don't have to keep changing the amount. I have never modified the inlet air flow for the cylinders, but it would be nice for them to run warmer on some days. I generally regulate them by not running lop and working the engine a bit harder. They generally stay well with in the operating temps even on the coldest days.

I use a heater tucker up the exhaust exit, and also a heat pad glued to the back of the superior sump. There was only enough room for one 100 watt pad there, so I added a 25 watt pad on the side of the oil cooler. Also, block off oil cooler about 60%. Two or three hours before, I call up my gsm auto and turn everything on. When i hop in and turn on the EFIS, everything is about 75 degrees.

For cold weather ops, preheat as others have said, and install a system to control oil temperature. I have the Van's oil cooler shutter connected to a push-pull cable in the cockpit. It restricts airflow a little even when fully open, so I remove it when the weather warms up in the spring. It will shut off air completely in the closed position. I am able to control my oil temp very precisely with the shutter. In the fully closed position, the oil will get very warm (200+) even on a cold day. In the full open position, I won't be able to get above 150 on a cold day, so the control function enables me to hold 180+/- on any winter day. When I move the control a little, temp change is indicated in a hurry - less than a minute. When you change altitude or power setting, you have to pay attention to the oil temp because it will change. During cruise on a cross country oil temp stays pretty stable once it's set.

For cold weather ops, preheat as others have said, and install a system to control oil temperature. I have the Van's oil cooler shutter connected to a push-pull cable in the cockpit. It restricts airflow a little even when fully open, so I remove it when the weather warms up in the spring.

Have you tried it in the summer? From what I gather, the square area of the shutter openings, is at least equal to the free area of the cooler, between the cooler fins. I haven't mathematically measured it.........but it hasn't been a problem in our Utah summers which get into the 90's.

L.Adamson

Comparative methods in Ely, NV

We are making a bit of a study of preheat methods in our shared hangar this year. One RV6 and one RV7A, O-360 and IO-360 respectively. and a Rotax 912-powered LSA too.

For all methods, we put a folded blanket on top of the engine cowl and plug the two forward cowl openings (with bird plugs or folded towels). Temperatures are reported in Farenheit degrees from a thermometer with a remote probe placed on top of cylinder one.

Bulb method: Using a 75 watt bulb in a drop light guard routed in the exhaust exit and placed under the engine oil pan (with the guard facing up in the unlikely instance of a fuel drip onto the bulb): In 12 hours overnight with ambient temps in hangar of 0 to 5 degrees, the engine shows a temperature of 39 to 44 degrees, and oil temps about 50. Allowing 12 additional hours, daytime, with ambient air temps (in our meatlocker of a hangar -- always 15 to 20 degrees colder than outside air) of about 20 F, the above temps rise about 10 degrees, to show 50 or so on the cylinder probe and 60 on the oil. Conclusion: This method works, but takes overnight. Stable temperature is reached within 12 hours; ambient temperatures seem to control after that. Might need to switch to a 100 watt bulb as local temperatures drop into winter.

Heater method: We also evaluated a 1000/1500 watt "bathroom heater" and dryer duct, like that shown in the November issue of Sport Aviation, http://www.sportaviationonline.org/sportaviation/201111#pg1. The specific heater we used was smaller and cheaper ($18) to buy than the one in the article. A $5 galvanized 5 inch to 4 inch adaptor was split into 4 "legs," which were then flattened in a vice and trimmed to fit the front of the heater, and attached with 2 PK screws to the face of the unit. The heater sits on the hangar floor on airplane centerline, about 3 feet behind the exhaust exit in the cowl. Ducting provided with an all metal FLEXIBLE clothes dryer duct, made oval at the delivery end. (Flexible ducting allows us to use the heater on different planes.) This obtained somewhat better results: In 90 minutes, from an ambient hangar temperature of 20 to 25 degrees and using the low (1500 watt setting), the oil temps are up to 45 or 50, so, call it a 25 degree rise. 25 degrees in 90 minutes is not bad, gets the temps into a good range, and can be done on the morning of the flight instead of overnight. In the other extreme, in an early test, I ran that same heater at 1500 watts for 12 hours overnight when hangar temps were 25 overnight (earlier in the cold season). In the morning, the oil temps were 91 degrees and cylinder probe was 102, roughly a 65 to 70 degree rise. Much more than needed, we thought, since the goal is to get oil temperature and CHT at least above freezing and, ideally, to 40 or so. So, based on these results, our practice is to use 1000 watt setting for the overnight preheat and the 1500 watt setting for the quicker, same day preheating.

Of possible interest to RV-12 flyers, a SkyRanger owner in our hangar, uses the blown air heater on his Rotax 912 with good results too. He has not tried overnight heating yet. Instead, he heavily bundles up his engine cowl on the top and sides, with the heater duct into one large front opening, gets a 30 to 35 degree rise in CHT in only 90 minutes. The oil (separate tank, not a bottom sump, of course) is warmed a similar amount, too.

One other consideration that works for us. The bulb method is super simple, and can be set up and left off at the end of a flight. The pilot, who lives 60 miles away, can call for a "plug in" the day before he intends to fly. Not inconvenient for since the hangar is visited by one of us every day and, with the blankets and bulb fixture in place, its a simple dela to plug in the cord. Setting up the heater and duct would be a bit more of a job.

My 2 cents worth.....

I use a small ceramic heater, set up with flexible ducting as mentioned above. Three blankets over the cowl as well as two water heater blankets, slightly overlapped on the top of the cowl so that they can be brought together and clamped under the owl, thus covering the whole cowl, more or less.

I plug my heated intro a thermostat designed for heating tape to keep water pipes from freezing. That rests on top of the engine, being insered in the cowl through the air inlets. I run this 24/7 all winter and it keeps the inerior of the cowl heated to 40-45F all winter. Average cost to run it is approximately less than $10.00/ month.

What I like is not only does it make for a happier engine on startup, but it also prevents the battery from freezing. No issue with moisture condensation either, as everything under the cowl is the same temp. The heater runs for about a minute or so each time it kicks in.

As I said, my 2 cents worth. Has been working for me for the last 5 years without a hiccup.

cowl openings

I don't live in quebec, but ND. I plan to put a butterfly in my 4" oil cooler duct for oil temp control.

Many of you have replied with real good preheat info, but doesn't anyone restrict cowl inlet air? It seems like it would be difficult to get reasonable chts with full cowling air flow.

It seems like there's a wide variation in the type of oil cooler people are using, and it's mounting location and and the routing of air to it. It makes it hard to correlate "I close mine off 60%" with "I close mine off completely".

Mine is a large Positech, firewall mounted, and fed by a 3" scat tube from a hole in the rear baffle on the passenger side. In winter months, the scat tube is closed off except for a slit that's about 1/4" by 1.5" on the top edge. Even with that, my oil temps are barely into the green. In the summer, I open it a little further, to get about a 1/2" by 2" opening, and the oil temps sit in the same place.

I'm planning on installing a Van's shutter this spring, that i'll access from the oil filler door. I don't think it's worth having a cable into the cockpit, this is more something I'll want to set once per flight at most (and more likely, once per season). It might even be worth looking into putting in a smaller oil cooler.

My first winter as a 6 pilot as well, out here on the (usually) frozen prairie. I started the winter with my oil cooler opening (cooler is firewall mounted) taped over with foil tape, but I'm not satisfied with that solution; we've had a lot of above freezing days so far this winter, and the oil temps run over 200 in those circumstances (up to 220 today!). I have the nonstop aviation butterfly sitting on the bench; might go in tomorrow.

For preheat, I am using a variation on the "heater with flexible duct" theme; a 1500 W utility heater with flexible ducting foil taped (I am not a metal fabricator lol) to both inlet and outlet sides. I run a circuit; outlet into the exhaust opening, intlet from one of the cooling openings on the front of the cowl, with the other cooling opening plugged. Couple of hours heat on a -10-15 C morning (around 5-15 F) and my CHT's and oil are all around 70-80 F. Today I reversed the ducting (heat into the cooling opening, out from the exhaust) with the result that the cht's were more 90-100 and the oil in the 60's. Either way, I think returning the heated air back through the heater rather than continually heating ambient temperature air improves the efficiency quite a bit. I got the idea from the design of the Aerotherm heater, and it works very well. Of note; the heater has a thermostat which I leave about 2/3 of the way up; if it's been turned on for more than a couple of hours, it's usually cycling on only briefly and shutting off again by the time I get to the hangar. If I turned the thermostat down further, I could pretty much leave it on all the time and have the temps in a very reasonable range all the time. I don't need to do that, however, as my hangar partner lets me use his aerotherm cell-phone activated switch system; I fire a text off and turn the heater on while I'm still in bed, and by the time I get up and get to the hangar, the plane is warm and ready to go. Love that thing:)

As for restricting cooling air to the cylinders, I haven't felt any need to do that; I've flown at about -15C (5 F) and my CHT's remained right at or a bit above 300. I don't intend to fly at much colder temps than that, so I'm satisfied with those numbers.

100 Watt work light in the cowl exit, blanket on top, night OAT= 25-30F...oil/cht/egt all read 63-64F on startup. I like keeping it warm continuosly. I gathered the stuff from my extra hvac parts to do the 1500 Watt heater setup but decided on the KISS principal just like my plane. I do use the 1000 Watt setting to preheat cabin from the baggage area. Not a problem anyway with cloth seats. Does keep condensation down having plexiglass preheated.

My old instructor used to put the smallest size torpedo heater you can buy and run a piece of steel chimney piping through an elbow and up into the bottom of the engine. After about 15 minutes the engine thought it was summer.

Getting pretty cold up here in Quebec...:eek: It's gona be my first winter flying the 6 and I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions as far as preping the aircraft for winter flying?

Any engine setup or tuning needed?
Particular things to check?

I'd like you guys to share you engine pre-heating ideas... the best I've found so far is the 24/7 100w bulb inside the enclosure which aparently work like a charm and is very economical...

Boujours Mr. ,

I am an AME currently living in Qu?bec but who has worked on smaller aircraft in Northern Ontario. Your concerns with preparing the aircraft are valid. As mentioned previously, an oil cooler air flow restriction plate is usually installed on the oil cooler to get the oil temp up. I have also seen pieces of scotch brite over the cooler, it reduces airflow and did a good job.

An insulated engine cover will go a long ways to reduce your heating costs. As for low cost solutions for preheating, we got away with car warmers in the cowl for the aircraft that did not have Tannis heaters on the oil pan. If you do not have a Herman Nelson to preheat, I found the car warmer to be a quick easy solution. Look at engine oil temp indication to determine if the engine is warm enough to start.

Also consider restricting the engine cooling air intake. Here are photos of restrictors used on C-172.
A241.jpg

The problem with northern ops is that fast throttle reductions in descent are a major concern and negatively affect cylinder life. On the high powered turbocharged twins, the descents are usually done with power reduction of 1 inch per minute to avoid shocking the engines(At least they were where I worked. After a rash of winter cylinder changes, this technique almost eliminated the problem) A similar approach can be done on your aircraft. However, I still recommend reducing the cooling air intake by 20-25% if you are to operate in the colder climates. Cylinder temps can be the gauge to tell you if you have too much cooling air. The Cessnas had small plastic plates that held in place with 3 or 4 camlock. They could be removed in under a minute if one desires to fly to the warmer climates. At -20 C, the engine will appreciate the reduced airflow.

If you are creative, you might be able to make a variable inlet... Have a look at the plate in front of the Wasp Jj engine for winter ops.
51dhc2bbe1.jpg

?ric

Firerod - Copied Bill R.

I bought a Watlow Firerod 120V 250W oil heater to screw into the oil pan... 10 minutes and we're ready to fire up the engine with pre-heated oil. :)

Have know of an electrict bed blanket being used to keep the engine warm in unheated hangars. Blanket was wrapped around engine cowl and left on contineously during winter months. Hangar temperature was often in the single digits overnight.

Have know of an electrict bed blanket being used to keep the engine warm in unheated hangars. Blanket was wrapped around engine cowl and left on contineously during winter months. Hangar temperature was often in the single digits overnight.

Somehow I think the output would be too low for the Canadian winter.I have seen some use battery blankets to keep the battery warmer. It helps for those cold weather starts.

Hi Jean,

Thought I would add my two bits. I have a 6A located at CYRP. I popped into Princess Auto and bought a 1,500W Electric Heater SKU: 8174393.

I then riveted 6? plenum to the output, a couple of 90 degree elbows and a customized heater vent to fit my exhaust opening.

It sits under the aircraft and blows hot air in through the exhaust opening.

It?s not pretty but it works very well. Temps are up to normal within 60 minutes.

Give me a shout if you have any questions.
If you would like some pictures, flip me your email and I?ll send you some.

Cheers
Dwayne

I have one of the stick on oil pan heaters and found it to be a poor heater. Much better is a little home made heater consisting of a small cube shape space heater, a reducing duct riveted to the front of that heater, and flexible heater duct hose directed up into the cowling. I set a timer and the motor starts as if the ambient temp is 80 degrees.

For me, I have found heated glove liners marketed to motorcycle riders such as these:
http://www.warmnsafe.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=279

Oil heaters are not "poor". The type of heater isn't the issue you are comparing, it's the wattage. Most stick on sump heaters are 100-200 watts or so, compared to 1500 watts for a typical space heater. Of course the higher wattage will heat the engine faster and to a higher temp. But for many users 100-200w is enough. Ours is 200w and plugged in for 12 hrs with a covered cowling will raise the oil about 80F above ambient, and the rest of the engine about 35-40F above ambient.

If using a home made space heater set up, I suggest NOT placing it on the floor unless the doors are open and the hangar is well ventilated. Gasoline fumes accumulate on the floor. Airplane go boom. That's why when we put furnaces in our hangars up here in cold country they are hung from the ceiling, and the building code requires that.

The comment about using heated motorcycle gear is a good one. I have a heated vest and it works so well on the motorcycle I added a Powerlet socket to the RV4.

We are making a bit of a study of preheat methods in our shared hangar this year. One RV6 and one RV7A, O-360 and IO-360 respectively. and a Rotax 912-powered LSA too.

Heater method: We also evaluated a 1000/1500 watt "bathroom heater" and dryer duct, like that shown in the November issue of Sport Aviation, http://www.sportaviationonline.org/sportaviation/201111#pg1. The specific heater we used was smaller and cheaper ($18) to buy than the one in the article. A $5 galvanized 5 inch to 4 inch adaptor was split into 4 "legs," which were then flattened in a vice and trimmed to fit the front of the heater, and attached with 2 PK screws to the face of the unit. The heater sits on the hangar floor on airplane centerline, about 3 feet behind the exhaust exit in the cowl. .

I noticed the following issue of SA (Jan 2012, pg 6) had a reply by a pilot who used a similar set up, and gasoline fumes at floor level ignited and burned down the hangar with two aircraft inside. Not a good idea unless the hangar is well ventilated, or you elevate the heater.

Last edited:
I bought a Watlow Firerod 120V 250W oil heater to screw into the oil pan... 10 minutes and we're ready to fire up the engine with pre-heated oil. :)

That sounds like an immersion type heater, a small 250w cartridge or tube type heating element IN the oil? If so I'd recommend against it, due to the watt density (watts/sq inch of surface area) being so high that it will scorch oil. Pieces of burned oil can flake off the surface and clog oil passages in the engine. That's one of the reasons the engine manufacturers say not to use dipstick heaters.

One company we compete with uses a 50 watt immersion heater and I think even that's too high. 60 w/sq in vs. around 10 for most bonded sump heaters.

I'm curious what temp rise you are getting after heating the oil only 10 minutes. In our tests with 200 watts on the sump (9 qts), we get a rise of 44F in 1 hour. I didn't check it at 10 min elapsed time but I'd guess it's not more than 5-10 deg.

Last edited:
In the morning, the oil temps were 91 degrees and cylinder probe was 102, roughly a 65 to 70 degree rise. Much more than needed, we thought, since the goal is to get oil temperature and CHT at least above freezing and, ideally, to 40 or so. .

I would urge you to raise the bar. Using 40F as the goal is better than nothing but I think the goal should be 80 or 100, or more. I like seeing the oil temp in the green when the engine starts.

Per our FAQ #20 ( www.reiffpreheat.com/FAQ.htm#QA20 ) :

20. At what temperature is preheating necessary?

That depends on how you define "necessary".

If you refer to your Lycoming or Continental engine operator's manual you will find that they typically recommend preheating if your engine is less than 20F.

But that's pretty cold in our view. We've always said that the closer your engine is to operating temperature when you start it, the happier it will be. That's because the bearing clearances, piston & ring fit, and oil temp & viscosity are where they are designed to be.

"It is generally accepted that a cold startup is considered to be anything below 60 F. However, an engine at rest is always cold relative to its normal operating temperatures; therefore, the oil is also thick relative to its designed operating viscosity." Harold Tucker, Director of Technical Information and Training, ConocoPhillips Commercial Lubricants. Aircraft Maintenance Technology magazine, Sept 2008

Also be aware that when preheating the oil temp gauge does not tell you what the oil temp is, it only tells you the temp of the sensor on the back of the engine. When we do our testing we drop a thermocouple down into the the oil. For long term heating (overnight) temps will be stabilized and the oil and sensor will be about the same temp. But some posts above refer to heating times of 10-15 minutes getting the oil to summer temp or whatever. You don't know the oil temp unless the sensor is in the oil, and 10-15 min is not going to raise it much no matter what kind of heater you use, or its wattage.

If using a home made space heater set up, I suggest NOT placing it on the floor unless the doors are open and the hangar is well ventilated. Gasoline fumes accumulate on the floor. Airplane go boom.

Good point; up to now my heater has been on the floor. I be changing that now.

Also, re: Nonstop Aviation's butterfly valve for a firewall mounted oil cooler - I have just started using that system and so far really like it. Mine had to be mounted at the cooler itself (still on the inlet side, though) rather than at the other end of the scat hose on the rear baffle, due to clearance issues with the oil dipstick/filler stalk. Works beautifully and allows very fine control of oil temp in flight with the push/pull cable included in the kit.

Hey guys, thx for the great comments and ideas. Please post some pictures of your winter/heating setup if you get a chance.

One question I now have: do any of you swtich to a "lighter" engine oil during winter operation? I was looking at ordering the usual 15W/50 Aeroshell oil for my next oil change and I started to read about oil...

Aeroshell have the W80 Plus, which they say:

Shell Oil W80 Plus introduces the anti-wear and anti-corrosion additives of AeroShell W100 Plus engine oil into a lighter, single-grade oil for use in colder climates. The anti-wear additive reduces wear on start-up by forming a microscopic layer on the engine's moving parts to prevent metal-to-metal contract when there is little oil present. Combined with a corrosion inhibitor, it is designed for pilots who fly either in cooler weather or less frequently.

With the climate here in Quebec and the fact that I'll fly probably once or twice a month, what do you guys think? Should I switch during winter?

Last edited:
I use W80 Plus in the winter...

I used Aeroshell 15W50 for years, but switched to W80 Plus and W100 Plus on the recommendation of an A&P. In the late fall, when I do the annual, I switch to 80 weight. In the spring, I go back to 100 weight. I have been doing this for the past couple of years and have noticed no problems. It is important, however, to have reasonably warm oil at start up. I shoot for about room temperature (60-70F). Last Sunday, the ground temp was 13F when I started the engine: the oil temp was 80F prior to start. Hanger temperature had been set to 50F. That, combined with my sump heater provided the 80F oil temperature. If you keep your plane outside, or cannot always get a good pre-heat, I would stick with the multi-viscosity oil.

Good luck,

Dean Pichon
Bolton, MA

The 80 is only a little thinner than 100 at cold temps. I'd stick with 15W-50 and go W100 for the summer. Forget the plus oil unless you have a 320H engine.

The 80 is only a little thinner than 100 at cold temps. I'd stick with 15W-50 and go W100 for the summer. Forget the plus oil unless you have a 320H engine.

Can you please explain why you say to forget the "plus" type oils ? I want to gather some technical info and some real life experience as much as possible.

Boots

I have boots on my control stick and will be adding them to my aileron pushrods where they enter the under-seat area.

I decided to order a box of Exxon Elite 20W/50 oil. After my research and with the fact that I'm regularely 10 days + whitout flying, this oil is gona fit me best. The Elite already have treatments built in, particularely anti-corosion agents.

Also, for my oil cooler air valve... Since I'm in the RV trailer / Motorhome business, there is a great kit from Valterra called the Bladex cable valve. It's a 3" valve with a push/pull cable - everything you need for the job! It's just perfect, plus the valve seal 100% tight. Actualy, it can hold liquid perfectly.

I'll go that route and I'll try to post the results here so people who are looking to do something similar, will have a very good and inexpensive option.

e63bfd16f466789e3c2e495471b02722.jpg

Just a quick update, the valve I ordered is too big. I'd have to fit it and move things around which I won't do...

Plan B....

Quick update on the subjet. Since the air valve I wanted to use turned out to be too big... I decided to build one.

Here's a couple pics. Sorry for the quality...

It needs some finishing touches on the metal and rivets, and some sanding and paint. Right now it's on primer only.

I indicated with a red line how the cable is gona operate the valve. Of course, there's some hardware involded which is not in the picture.

I choosed a ratchet type, friction lock cable from ACS which is gona do the job just fine. I also installed 2 half rings inside the valve, one on each side of the butterfly door - opposite from each other, so the door can close against them and form a tight seal.

I didn't used the flimsy aluminium 3 " tube used by some... I choosed a 3" galvinized pipe. It's rock solid and I know it's gona last as long as the plane without ever wearing out... It weight about a pound so, I just didn't see the point of trying to save weight on this.

That's pretty much it. :rolleyes:

Valve_004.JPG

Valve_005.JPG

time to revive this thread!?!?!

I'm still looking for a 'great idea' to restrict the inlet. As I am miles from the field it's hard to fabricate and test-fit things....so I hoped there might be someone who had cooked up a good solution they would share with us.
I do block the backside of the oil cooler, but am of the opinion that when the engine is cold, it shouldn't be flowing anyway!
I'd much rather reduce the flow thru the cowling so I don't have to sit on the ground fouling the plugs for 20 minutes to get the temps in the green for takeoff.
Ideally it would have some ability to adjust, even with a tool, on the ground.
Duct tape? :) NOT!

Last edited:
Back