What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowl Question

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
What should the gap be between the cowl and the skins? In other words, how tight should the fit be? The RV-14 plans indicate no more than a 1.3 mm gap max. I assume that there should be some gap for paint and ease to put on and take off the cowl.

Thanks

Here was my thinking. Typical primer and paint thickness shouldn?t exceed.007? per surface, or .014? and you still want a gap to prevent chipping. I used a total gap of .032? to. .04 ? unpainted. To tight a fit will chip paint in use.

Thanks. I am using skybolt fasteners on the top cowl along the FW. The fit is very tight now. I plan to fit the bottom cowl tight, and then put the lower piano hinge in place (up to clecoing in place). Then I will trim both the top and bottom cowl to the desired gap. I figure that keeping the top line tight at this point will give me a better fit on the bottom, since the top can't really move at all.

Hey Ken. I need to come back up and see your plane. I did the skybolt and it was not as easy as I thought. Layout to have the bolts in the right places. As for the gap, being uniform is the most noticeable as long as it is big enough to lower chance of paint chips. Have fun!

Loved the video. '67 chevy in the background? Also, good call on having your helper ride a scooter around the shop. Saves time because you don't have to take as many steps :)

steve-

where do you get extruded hinges like you talk about in your video? I can't do the hinges along the FW on the bottom cowl, since the hinges are already in place, but i could use them along the seam between the top and bottom cowl.

I am also debating installing the Aerosport hinge pin covers.

Back