Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-26-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
I find that water and a microfiber cloth takes off bugs nicely. Give the leading edges a spritz and let the water sink in for a minute, then wipe with microfiber.
Nature's solvent! Works just as well on painted planes as most cleaners, unless trying to remove oil or grease.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:30 PM

I compounded the entire plane ('cept for the bottom forward fuselage - I just went F7 there), from F7 to C on the rotary to S Grade with the orbital. I do have a few areas, since I started this last project last fall in another hangar that are a little cloudy. Would a quick hit with the orbital and an S grade take care of that?

Also, for those of you who polish at, say, annual, are you compounding or just polishing with the S grade?

by the way, the comment about perfectionists is funny. Here's a picture of my elevator this week .

Big difference, right. Of course, you can still see some swirl marks and stuff on the "after", but when you compare, it's pretty cool. the problem is you don't have the "before" to look at when you walk in to the hangar today, as I did, look at the finished product and say, "you know, I could probably get those swirl marks out."
RV-12 project status: Waiting for the RV-12iS fuselage subkit
Builder log

Last edited by LettersFromFlyoverCountry : 04-26-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:58 PM

Default Bottom painted

I saw a very nicely polished P-51 a couple years back at an air show in Port Charlotte, Florida and noticed the under side of the wings were painted silver.

Would that be an unforgivable sacrilege in the world of polished airplanes? I am considering doing it.
RV-7A...Sold #70374
The RV-8...#83261 flying as of 6/16/2014
RV-3 ....fan

I'm in, dues paid 2017 This place is worth it!
Old 04-26-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David-aviator View Post
I saw a very nicely polished P-51 a couple years back at an air show in Port Charlotte, Florida and noticed the under side of the wings were painted silver.

Would that be an unforgivable sacrilege in the world of polished airplanes? I am considering doing it.
Now that is one heck of an idea. I would love to polish my plane and show off all my riveting issues, but I am just too lazy. I can't imaging crawling under the wings and fuselage to make it nice and shinny!
O-320 D2A
Panel andWiring done
Final assembly and paint!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:23 PM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

I wish I'd called you if you were out there today Bob - I would have dropped in to admire your work! I was at Fleming to visit BRS for a little while - thought about where you might be, bt had to get back to the folks.

Hope to see that polished beauty at OSH!
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Old 04-26-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:

That is actually pretty common in the warbird community.

Somebody mentioned the product Glass Wax. It does work. There is just one small problem. They don't make it anymore. If memory serves the company was sold.

Once you have it polished, for small touch up you can use Blue Magic if it is just an oxidation issue or Semichrome is there are actual scratches that need removing. Both are available at most hardware or automotive parts stores. Aside form that it is pretty much a once a year full polish followed by a continual touch up for the rest of the year. Has anybody shown you the corn starch trick? After final polish, to remove any remaining polish residue, tamp a soft rag in a tin of corn starch and rub it on the polished areas.
Wings completed except for bottom skin and glass work
Fuselage underway
N18451 reserved
Old 04-28-2013, 11:05 AM

The inspiration for me polishing was -- partly -- Jed Gregerson at SteinAir who has a beautiful RV. He painted the bottom and also the leading edges and it looks fine. I may go that route, we'll see.

I'm aware of the corn starch trick. I put the corn starch and a microfiber towel in a baggie and then shake it off and rub down. I don't see a lot of polish coming up on the rag, though. And I also end up with corn starch dust everywhere.
RV-12 project status: Waiting for the RV-12iS fuselage subkit
Builder log
Old 04-28-2013, 11:30 AM

Default Polishing Aluminium

I really like the look of the polished aluminium finish but no one has mentioned lacquer to protect it against the atmosphere, mud etc, does that work?

My existing plane is painted but looking to the future.............
Contemplating next project

VAF Fees Paid - 2015
Old 04-28-2013, 10:38 PM

Default Corn Starch and lacquer

The corn starch trick works well for getting the remaining polish from around the base of dome head rivets so it won't ease the polishing process on the flush head RV skin that much but it is still an available tool in your trick bag.

Regarding lacquer, it's been tried before with mixed results. It usually results in the clear coat beginning to flake off after a while and sometimes it can yellow with age.
Wings completed except for bottom skin and glass work
Fuselage underway
N18451 reserved
Old 09-14-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:

I gave up and had the underside of the wings, stabilizer, and belly painted a grey we picked out. Polishing those surfaces was torture, and did not last long at all. You can't tell from a short distance.

No, it's not an RV, but I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night.