What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailcone riveted...suggestions needed for additional mounts and doublers.

RandyAB

Well Known Member
I'm now done with section 10. The tailcone is riveted except for the top forward skin. Before that is done I was hoping for some input on adding additional items such as any doublers needed for antenna mounts, ELT placement, and a mount for a double ADAHRS setup (Garmin if that makes a difference).

Input, with pics if possible, is greatly appreciated.

Forward top skin

Don't rivet the forward top skin on unless you really want to shimmy down the tailcone many, many times...

The top forward skin of the tail cone doesn't get riveted in place until the fiberglass cabin top in finally installed. You have an entire fuselage to build first. <grin>

I did the install for all of my antennas going on the top and bottom of the tail cone, the pitch and yaw servo mounts, the wiring to the tail light, the installation of the static ports and tubing, and ran all the wiring required in the vicinity of the tail cone before closing it up. I also installed the air conditioner evaporator, dryer, and blower on a tail cone shelf, as well as a mounting shelf for the ELT before riveting the top forward skin.

Also good to do as much work in the fuselage as you can before you do the final install of the cabin top, as it is much easier when you can just reach in over the side.

Enjoy the building adventure, as you have a lot still to do. (grin)

The top forward skin of the tail cone doesn't get riveted in place until the fiberglass cabin top in finally installed. You have an entire fuselage to build first. <grin>

I did the install for all of my antennas going on the top and bottom of the tail cone, the pitch and yaw servo mounts, the wiring to the tail light, the installation of the static ports and tubing, and ran all the wiring required in the vicinity of the tail cone before closing it up. I also installed the air conditioner evaporator, dryer, and blower on a tail cone shelf, as well as a mounting shelf for the ELT before riveting the top forward skin.

Also good to do as much work in the fuselage as you can before you do the final install of the cabin top, as it is much easier when you can just reach in over the side.

Enjoy the building adventure, as you have a lot still to do. (grin)

Thanks Dave. I took delivery of the quickbuild wings and fuselage today. I really don't want to crawl into the tailcone for fear of bending something. That's why I wanted to ask now; so I don't burn any bridges so to speak.

I really don't want to crawl into the tailcone for fear of bending something.

It's not that bad once you do it a few times and that structure is stronger than you think .. just don't drop tools on the skins or you will get to learn the spoon/packing tape trick :eek:

I'm 250 and 6'2" and surprised at where I managed to stuff my self in the name of building .. just distribute your weight using boards if you are concerned.

It helps to have a tiny helper available occasionally :D

just don't drop tools on the skins or you will get to learn the spoon/packing tape trick :eek:

I'll bite. Spoon / Packing tape trick? I haven't (yet) dropped a bucking bar or other tools in my tailcone, but hear it's not if but when kinda thing. This a trick to try to bang out a dent? Any links on how to do this?

So here's what I did:
-- My VOR I mounted on the bottom of the tailcone under the HS so I put a doubler in there
-- Installed the Van's AHRS shelf per the shelf plans to the left of the elevator bell crank (I have my Transponder mounted to it)
-- Installed Van's ELT mount on the left side of the tailcone about a foot aft of the baggage bulkhead and between the F-1047 D & E stiffeners.
-- Installed SteinAir's magnetometer bracket to the front top of the F-1008 fuse frame and the ELT just in front of that

37175487056_1c493ce02f_b.jpg

37222842611_349f4b17d1_b.jpg

FP21122012A0002D.jpg

My #1 COM antenna (a few inches aft of the baggage bulkhead) is mounted on the top of the tailcone so I mounted it and its doubler much later as I really didn't know where the COM antennas were going to go at this point in the build. The same is true of the transponder antenna which is on the bottom of the tailcone just aft of the baggage bulkhead and offset to the right of centerline.

So here's what I did:
-- My VOR I mounted on the bottom of the tailcone under the HS so I put a doubler in there
-- Installed the Van's AHRS shelf per the shelf plans to the left of the elevator bell crank (I have my Transponder mounted to it)
-- Installed Van's ELT mount on the left side of the tailcone about a foot aft of the baggage bulkhead and between the F-1047 D & E stiffeners.
-- Installed SteinAir's magnetometer bracket to the front top of the F-1008 fuse frame and the ELT just in front of that

37175487056_1c493ce02f_b.jpg

37222842611_349f4b17d1_b.jpg

FP21122012A0002D.jpg

My #1 COM antenna (a few inches aft of the baggage bulkhead) is mounted on the top of the tailcone so I mounted it and its doubler much later as I really didn't know where the COM antennas were going to go at this point in the build. The same is true of the transponder antenna which is on the bottom of the tailcone just aft of the baggage bulkhead and offset to the right of centerline.

Thanks for that Todd. That is exactly what I was looking for in terms of response. A couple of questions. I'm assuming that the magnetometer suffers no interference there. Where did you put your ADAHRS? What was the advantage of putting the remote transponder there instead of behind the main panel which is where I was expecting to put it. Do you have a picture of your VOR antenna install? I've heard of others putting their VOR antennas exactly where you describe.

Last edited:
No magnetometer interference from the ELT antenna or the seatbelt attach hardware.

My ADAHRS (a Garmin GSU 73) is mounted behind the instrument panel. I preferred that location to keep all of my "pitot-static" instruments in one area (ADAHRS, backup PFD, and autopilot control head) to simplify the tubing runs.

I put my transponder in the tailcone to keep the antenna lead the right length. My transponder antenna is back there because I've made provision for a cargo pod and that complicated transponder antenna placement forward--everything's a compromise.

These are the only pics of the VOR doubler I have here at work. The doubler is tied into the aft side of the F-1010 frame.
FP14072008A0000K.jpg

FP14072008A0000I.jpg

Thanks Todd for sharing that. It's very helpful not having to reinvent the wheel and seeking solutions from those who have been through the process before. It sure lightens the work load.

Last edited:
Back