VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-07-2017, 04:49 PM

Default Custom Covers and Aluminum Polish and Ramp Tie Down

This question is regarding the interaction of polished aluminum and airplane covers (RV8 specifically) that would be tied down on the ramp. Weather of the area is mostly dry with winter rains, occasional snow and small hail, 25-110F temps.

1) Would a FULL PLANE COVER to preserve the polished surfaces from rain/dust/etc sufficiently to reduce the polishing overhead? Or would the cover just wear its own scratches. I might consider a FULL PLANE COVER for winter just to ensure I can go out and fly in the cold winter post-rain mornings (keep frozen water drops off the wings).
https://www.aircraftcovers.com/RV8

2) With a CANOPY COVER only, do the buckles wear scratches into the metal?

I have no expectation that a full cover would prevent a yearly polish event. But I am hoping to learn of some real word experience with the benefit of the full plane cover and if it would be more hassle than its worth (ie, instead of water spots, i am messing around with other surface scratches).

Last edited by SomeYawhoo : 09-07-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:38 PM

If you go with a canopy cover only, I would recommend a cover with a 4-strap system for the RV-8. Four straps provides a better fit and helps keep the cover from moving in the wind. If the cover moves, any grit that gets underneath will sandpaper the canopy. Aviation Covers, Inc. has a picture of an RV-8 at the top of their webpage with their 4-strap cover.
(Pic)
- Out with the Old, In with the New (Pic)
RV-8, 1935 Tach Hours
(Pic 1), (Pic 2), (Pic 3) - Sale Pending
Glasflügel H-201B Standard Libelle, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 09-07-2017 at 05:42 PM.