VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics


Go Back   VAF Forums > The Never Ending Debate Section > Polishing your RV
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-18-2017, 05:20 PM
Antoine.S Antoine.S is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Amiens (LFAY)
Posts: 31
Default how to never "polish it again! but keep it shiny

Hi, rubbing freinds! ; )

Learned saturday form a polished beech 18 owner, (big surface, no time to waste)
tryed on my fully polished RV, and adopted!
if you wash your shiny bird after almost every flight with some glass cleaner yes the "phhhitt... phhitt.." of your wife ; )
(the ones with alchool formula are better cause faster to evaporates)

simply put 2-3 soup spoon of your nushine grade S polish in the bottle,
then shake it hard...
you will got a sort of milk like liquid.

do as you do when you just clean your bird...
it leave now a very very ultra thin clear traces like when cleaning with a little dirty water, so it will take a second pass to wipe it off with a clean microfiber but.........


look your microfiber after doing one wing... yes it is slightly black.. and you know what it means my friends! polishing action!!!

X5 less effort (normal hand polishing with coton and axial method (see below)6-8h of labour, now with this "light polish every cleaning" method 2h and it shine like new!)
X5 less polish used for the same result (we always use to much polish with finger dots application in fact... now it can be "spray" as a ultra thin, uniform, quantity of it ! (economic!))

result 90% of a complete polishing look if you previously achieve a good grade S status.

so why continue polishing like mad/crasy every 3months with black hands, harms, face, rotating machine of every type, electrical cords in your foots, or over your shoulder falling non stop on wings etc...
if you can instead do it lightly every flight or every week without even noticing it? personally i've chose!

last tip (mine): axial polishing/cleaning! stop swirling by polishing all the aircraft with rotation mouvment! Go with back and forth movement on the same axe for all the aircraft, the result is micro scars (you will always have them swirling or axial) on all the same axe so invisible or not eye catching like a big swirl in the middle of your wing.

Sorry for bad spelling etc i'm writhing it fast form my original french language just to give you the tip that is changing the way i see my polishing duty to a simple cleaning duty.

ENJOY! (but please use latex or vinyl gloves every time you are in contact with polishs, they are hard chemicals able to react with metals don't let them react with your skin blood etc (long term, repetitive use, concern))
__________________
RV-6 F-PHAT

Last edited by Antoine.S : 04-18-2017 at 05:54 PM. Reason: ajusting
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-18-2017, 08:08 PM
jpowell13 jpowell13 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 513
Default

I'll have to try your method on my 6A Antoine. Haven't had any time for polishing in over six months and it shows. And, by the way, I wish I could write French as well as you write English. Bon soir. John
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-19-2017, 01:01 AM
rv8ch rv8ch is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: LSGG
Posts: 2,084
Default Glass cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine.S View Post
.. some glass cleaner yes the "phhhitt... phhitt.." of your wife ; )
(the ones with alchool formula are better cause faster to evaporates)
Salut Antoine, which brand of glass cleaner do you use? I'm always afraid of some unknown chemical in household cleaners that will negatively react with alu. Merci!
__________________
Mickey Coggins
http://rv8.ch
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-19-2017, 02:12 AM
DNeufeld DNeufeld is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Coeur d Alene
Posts: 34
Default

I like the idea but am concerned about the chemicals also. What about some known safe fast evaporating chemical mixed in a spray bottle? Maybe someone here would know what that is?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-19-2017, 06:42 AM
BruceEicher's Avatar
BruceEicher BruceEicher is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wilsonville/Aurora KUAO Oregon
Posts: 572
Default

Make your own aluminum cleaner with half denatured alcohol half water and a few drops of dishwater soap. I too will try adding grade S. It's been two years for HulaGirl without anything more than a hand job. She has been feeling neglected, but I hate the power tools.
__________________
Bruce, Katie, Hana and RV-8 HulaGirl
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-19-2017, 09:14 AM
John Owen John Owen is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceEicher View Post
Make your own aluminum cleaner with half denatured alcohol half water and a few drops of dishwater soap. I too will try adding grade S. It's been two years for HulaGirl without anything more than a hand job. She has been feeling neglected, but I hate the power tools.
That sounds too good to be true!

Is the denatured alcohol safe on nearby paint?

Thanks.
John
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-19-2017, 03:47 PM
Antoine.S Antoine.S is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Amiens (LFAY)
Posts: 31
Default Rainette!

hi freinds!

i use "rainette" glass cleaner since 3 years without any reproach to make on it

it is said on the bottle "ecological" & "with alcool"

here a link -> https://goo.gl/images/KasUZm

http://www.rainett.fr/gamme/nettoyan...-l-alcool.html

they said the components are:

AQUA
ALCOHOL
BUTOXYPROPANOL
MEK
SODIUM LAURETH SULFATE
COLORANT

About the nuvite mixed in it,
i think it is a god method to maintain a good polish aspect until you've reach a good level of polishing aspect.

i've try it the next day of having the plane sitting under a little rain during a part of the afternoon and the fly back to home that have dry it.

when cleaning it the normal way and as usual in these kind of exposure to rain, i was seeing little dots of uneven dull effect due to rain spots when whipping off my normal glass cleaner on wings, and here is why decide to give a try to the Beech 18 owner method..
few moments later i was pleased to see.. or rather NOT to see these littles dull dots any more

jpowell13, believe it or not my english is fairly due to the fact of having a RV reading this forum & calling english company's about maintenance lycoming, blackston, nuvite etc.. and the fact that i love America and the english language : )
__________________
RV-6 F-PHAT

Last edited by Antoine.S : 04-19-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-19-2017, 04:20 PM
Antoine.S Antoine.S is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Amiens (LFAY)
Posts: 31
Default Picture

Here it is after the cleaning with the method i've tried,
i think it look's quite like brand new polishing action was donne.
cleaning was a bit harder than usual with it, but worth the price i think
(even if as you know polishing work will always look better in picture than in real)





last real hand polishing (axial) was 3 mouth ago,

bad isolation in this hangar so:

-during winter the plane is covered with painting plastic trapaulin with a liner made of tree antifrozing white flee lining (like paper/coton tissue) used normaly to avoid trees to froze, used here to avoid scratches from the plastic trapaulin and moisture to sit between plastic and aluminum.
everthing cut to size the airplane, a cover easy to made for a ridiculous price, tools need : tape, cisors, good thickness painting trapaulin, tree antifozing liner and voila! oh and a big surface to size and cut it on the floor.
(not a long therm cover mine is 2years old and the liner is cracked near every protruding angles of the plane (wing tips corner etc), ugly when on, but do the job to protect it from moisture

-after the colds night when spring is coming i switch to an old TAP parachute (domed) with the top fixed on the roof and the rest all over the aircraft like a tent to cover it from dust
__________________
RV-6 F-PHAT

Last edited by Antoine.S : 04-19-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-19-2017, 06:29 PM
John Owen John Owen is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine.S View Post
Here it is after the cleaning with the method i've tried,
i think it look's quite like brand new polishing action was donne.
cleaning was a bit harder than usual with it, but worth the price i think
(even if as you know polishing work will always look better in picture than in real)





last real hand polishing (axial) was 3 mouth ago,

bad isolation in this hangar so:

-during winter the plane is covered with painting plastic trapaulin with a liner made of tree antifrozing white flee lining (like paper/coton tissue) used normaly to avoid trees to froze, used here to avoid scratches from the plastic trapaulin and moisture to sit between plastic and aluminum.
everthing cut to size the airplane, a cover easy to made for a ridiculous price, tools need : tape, cisors, good thickness painting trapaulin, tree antifozing liner and voila! oh and a big surface to size and cut it on the floor.
(not a long therm cover mine is 2years old and the liner is cracked near every protruding angles of the plane (wing tips corner etc), ugly when on, but do the job to protect it from moisture

-after the colds night when spring is coming i switch to an old TAP parachute (domed) with the top fixed on the roof and the rest all over the aircraft like a tent to cover it from dust
It looks great! So does that US flag in the background!!

John
USAF, retired
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-20-2017, 12:04 AM
rv8ch rv8ch is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: LSGG
Posts: 2,084
Default Cowl

Thanks for those details Antoine. Now you have to tell us about that cowl! Is it aluminum or just amazing paint?
__________________
Mickey Coggins
http://rv8.ch
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:04 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.