What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery relay

jacksel

Well Known Member
I have 2 batteries installed in my RV7. I noticed both relays get quite warm when they've been on a while, even with very little load. Is this normal or should I be concerned? Thanks

Depending on the relay being used, this may well be within normal expectation. The solenoid is in a tin can. Its coil is dissipating 10 watts or more - that's just the juice flowing through the solenoid coil to keep the contacts engaged. That's a fair amount of heat being generated.

Make sure the parts are "Master Solenoids" not "Starter Solenoids".

AKA: Continuous Duty rated.....

"Battery contactor (aka master relay, master contactor, master solenoid) is a “Continuous Duty” relay meaning it can be turned on indefinitely. This relay will become warm during normal operations. This contactor draws just under 1A at 14v."

See page 3...

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. The solenoids are the same ones van has been selling I think for many years. I just never noticed how much heat they generate. I sometimes start worrying over things for no good reason. I blame the dementia...wait.....what was I talking about? Also, it is the master (continuous duty) relay.

Flir

While playing around with my Flir on my iphone, I was surprised how hot the Master Relay is during operation,
Temp shown is not the hottest part of the relay.

bY5eLomHV6pqT42OF4prXRAZpfAr8EiKTVtaUDc4hDJLdYXC-5hmGIuGw0rJIq_3XF8ajYHNCLifqN2ugZY-sKXx6o7HpxTZNWUBeAaY4iOL6hBj8RayTeySDVVx7DAww8_UJdIkJEa2ve_SCc-DvE0VWf-5iCkMPmVoFMd9ssHHm34vHfJyXIpYjrqKdy1JHcL8L_8VOGz63w-4Pj43TVknFYmbqnpdb6hhAfmqErje2XPZPDsH6_NZN9ED0DtsYmmPnmtCeFI1BpRd5-bNI-9Wwv77bhOE5XDWBWv6PyN8bqtE7VtMIlmBokmujCcwR9V_sSsdV9ZjLMxNPpkndyESsJH5hZxurAp4IbxPaSHB8aOjxejoaP8Iox61_toralhrEXkxkrQnE9_awkprY8gyZ27kxnfT7mFP-pUcfCfqjCfjQVj2YzwEQ7zFa_hU54gpn3mP-Ii1v7fb3BOO4ClOtH54TqcVCoBoFJfsIwq9lLucFotwzRGFxX8IH8tO58LXCrMsb3wtMA7P7D1RxqqUn18kfs-NGE4lo10qZvnoE24Qzmx-X90CXHPsYGci2Jfhw8SSupuUBFD5ieIGLQrUXo989rQ-GoBaezNDyhzIUpRJt1RbSg=w378-h670-no

Back