What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How Much is Your Build Costing? Mine is Currently at...

Time=money and money=time. Any cost analysis depends on what is “make” and what is “buy”.

Having said the above, one shall count their time based on how much surplus time they have on hand. Say: you can willingly spare 2 hours on a given day just for fun, then it’s just free.

Therefore; you got the point. Analyze your costs as per your constraints.

I’m no expert, just saying, my 2 cents.
Have fun.

BTW, I’m an expert of ERP/MRP II and it works for many (if not all) aspects of life. Your “human resource” a measurable resource as well.

Last edited:
Free

"...you can willingly spare 2 hours on a given day just for fun, then it?s just free..."

Nothing is free; sparing 2 hours on a given day just means that those 2 hours were not used for something else. There is always a cost...

No earthly good can come from these evil calculations.

80963873_2513173642275394_288977515777622016_n.jpg

I wonder about what is the value of our own time, if we really want to know what is the full cost of a completed build.

Assuming between 2000 to 4000 hours of builder time, valued at between $30 and $90 per hour (just rough numbers for the discussion), this would contribute from a low of $60K to a high of $360K to the cost.

The value of your time is whatever you want it to be. When I started my first -6 I was a consultant. I started keeping a detailed build log with all times. But when I stared equating my build time to my billable hours I quit logging time. I value my build time at $0 monetarily but priceless in lifestyle value. Your choice.

I wonder about what is the value of our own time, if we really want to know what is the full cost of a completed build.

Assuming between 2000 to 4000 hours of builder time, valued at between $30 and $90 per hour (just rough numbers for the discussion), this would contribute from a low of $60K to a high of $360K to the cost.

I consider the 1300-plus hours of building my -9A to be some of the most enjoyable time of my life. And people pay good money to do things that are enjoyable!

Maybe I should subtract $50/hour to arrive at the total cost of my RV. :)

When time comes to sell (if ever), I'll be more than happy to recoup 75% of component costs.

I consider the 1300-plus hours of building my -9A to be some of the most enjoyable time of my life. And people pay good money to do things that are enjoyable!

Maybe I should subtract $50/hour to arrive at the total cost of my RV. :)

When time comes to sell (if ever), I'll be more than happy to recoup 75% of component costs.

Very well said
icon14.gif

EDIT: Wait, what...1300+ hours...jeez thats quick :eek:

Last edited:
"...you can willingly spare 2 hours on a given day just for fun, then it’s just free..."

Nothing is free; sparing 2 hours on a given day just means that those 2 hours were not used for something else. There is always a cost...

I have ADD, yeah I’m 63. I don't know what you do, but when Im home I take the dog (Doberman) out for half hour and got to wait wife to show at home which can easily take an hour or an hour and a half. Most people just sit back and relax, instead I just go to the garage and organize stuff or build something, like a WC competition class (F3A) precision aerobatics plane. It takes about 6 month to get one built all from a composite (carbon/Kevlar/glass) basic kit. In the past I designed and built and sold many (25+). One flown to 2. Place in the US Nat’s. And you’re right I made some money in the side.

But now, I do stuff for just fun, not for money. Don’t we all want to build RV’s for fun? Who cares the time lost. At the end of the day, when you finish the plane, if you don’t like it, you sell it and retrieve your cost+. And I won’t sweat it cause I was having fun.

I don’t know you therefore your constrains may be different, :D

Nah...

We are probably more alike than different. In fact, I have too many hobbies and not enough time for them all. That was the basis for my comment. Those two hours spared are just two hours taken from something else...in fact I am already planning my next large project, to be started once the -10 is out of the workshop. Couple that with all of the little side projects that come up, well, not enough time in the day...

I'm in the process of building a new Superior engine and buying a new CS prop for a flying -8. The price of this is up over 20% in the past 2 years from when I originally quoted it out. It does seem that there has been some price inflation going on. Apparently small single engine aircraft and parts aren't in the CPI! :mad:

This is a very enjoyable hobby - not much different cost-wise than boating or a country club membership (at least that's what I've explained to my bride).:D

We are probably more alike than different. In fact, I have too many hobbies and not enough time for them all. That was the basis for my comment. Those two hours spared are just two hours taken from something else...in fact I am already planning my next large project, to be started once the -10 is out of the workshop. Couple that with all of the little side projects that come up, well, not enough time in the day...

I agree. On the other hand, I?m an old school guy and I am a strong believer of Dale Carnegie. :)

RV-7A, tipper, slow build. Fuselage mostly done and working on canopy/panel/wiring. Currently 1438 hours into the build.

Original budget ($110K)

$30K for kits, wires, hardware
$30K for avionics
$40K for engine, prop, and firewall forward
$5K for tools
$5K for finishing touches, paint, etc.

Reality, so far ($56K)

$33K in kits, metal, wires and hardware
$15K in avionics, and other aftermarket goodies
$8K in tools and consumables

Anticipated future costs ($60K)

$15K in remaining avionics
$37K IO-360 engine + Hartzell CS prop
$6K Firewall forward
$2K Interior
$?K Paint
$?K Square-up with the California Tax Man

So, I'm a little over budget for the kits, on budget for avionics, over for the power plant, and a little over for tools. Not too bad, really. The totals always look painful in the spreadsheet but I'm a believer in planning and then rigorously tracking costs so you can take steps throughout to stay on target. As opposed to just opening my wallet and letting Stein and Lycoming have their way with it.

Kits = $29,752

My complete kit was under 10K, of course no FW forward existed then.

Engine was 16.2K

All I can say is I'm glad I build when I did.

Time vs. Money trade off

With a 14 year build time with doing basically everything yourself or with friends, you can get in the air with a 7a and an 0360 A1A for less than 50K.....if you stick to the plans...and keep if VFR.

Bought a timed out engine that came with a carb and mags, sent out key components for yellow tagging, and had a friend who is an A&P to help with the overhaul and provide guidance, did a basic skyview system (no auto pilot servos yet), got a basic Garmin SL 40 com radio, basic Bob Knuckles Aero Electric electrical system with fuses, Catto prop, built own LED nav lights, and painted just the fiberglass parts, and have free 3rd time hand me down seats....

Key thing is that this is educational....Made lots of great friends along the way, and your fun per $ ratio will be off the chart!

Back